When you get into a relationship with a long time friend, is there a honeymoon period?

So I've just gotten into a relationship with a long term friend of mine and we don't seem to be having a honeymoon period? Is this normal? I only have my friends relationships to compared to, and they message/see their SO everyday, where as we may message everyday, mostly me initiating, but he has no desire to see me everyday? Only two/three or so days a week?

43

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure, you already know each other well, so you don't hesitate to disagree with him or criticize him. This trusting and uninhibited behavior is what is good about having a relationship with an old friend.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in the same boat. Friends for 8 years before we got together. I think there was a honeymoon period for a while, when we'd go out on dates and say romantic things to each other and he would literally head home as soon as work ended just to Skype with me (I was abroad at the time). Then we got into a few arguments through online chat where he didn't respond for a long time and we had to talk it out in person. The saying lovey dovey things to each other decreased, and the friendly insults increased. It became more fun rather than purely passionate, in a good way. We still say/do romantic things for each other but only on special days. I guess we gradually slipped out of the honeymoon period & barely noticed it cuz we've been friends for so long.

• Side note: I never really noticed the honeymoon phase until it ended. Maybe that's what you mean? We've stopped messaging each other constantly throughout the day but we still check in with each other in the morning and at night and ask about our separate days.

What Guys Said 2

What Girls Said 3

• I was friends with my boyfriend for 4 years before we got together and yes there was a honeymoon phase. But I'm not sure if that was partly because we had never met up in person before? I think there is almost always that excited nervousness when you first start dating someone, but with him it was like a whirlwind and everything happened so quickly. It's only just starting to slow down a bit after 2 months.

• Me an my boyfriend were friends for years before we got together and we couldn't stay away from each other during the first couple months,
    Every relationship is different though and you shouldn't base yours off your friends

• Is there sexual activity in this relationship?

• Not a huge amount, we're moving slowly.

• Well, the honeymoon phase won't really get into gear until you start doing what honeymooners do. :)