Is it advisable to get engaged while still in college?

If you've seen someone for 5 months or so and they are serious about getting engaged while you are still in college, does it mean they are being delusional?

166

Most Helpful Guy

• Young and passionate love as I see it. I'd say the wise choice is to wait. You two aren't going anywhere and that ring is not going to bind you two together. If you have a great relationship then keep it going and enjoy each other's company. There's no need to rush into marriage.

Younger people tend to fall in love more easily (and unfortunately also out of love rather easily). The danger of that is that they're falling in love more with a fantasy of you than the real you. You two haven't had enough experiences together for him to adjust and evolve that fantasy to better match who you are as a person.

We all fall in love with a fantasy. I'm in love with a fantasy of my wife, an image and dream of her I built in my mind. Yet my fantasy is fairly close to how she is in person since we've been together for years, have lived together, been through hard times together. I think you two could do with some more time before you start considering marriage.

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone is different, but then again everyone also thinks they're the great exception. It takes an average of 3-5 years to fully get to know someone. I doubt you've seen him angry or distressed or fired from a job. These things change people. 5 months? Shit, you shouldn't even consider it a serious relationship. You're still in the cupcake, honeymoon, whatever you want to call it phase.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't think so, realistically most relationships at college age don't go the distance.

• Thats rushing things and rushing things never works out. Take it slow.

• If you want to divorced by 30 or 32 or so, then sure, go ahead.

• 5 months is way too soon.

• Damn... i feel sorry for the guy. he's locking himself in with one pussy. Fucking help that man. Women are not worth long term relationships anymore

What Girls Said 15

• If you both feel ready then I think it's fine. Although I've not seen many relationships last at college

• If it's only been 5 months then it's probably not a good idea

• 5 months is too soon but if you'd been dating for like 3 years already then it wouldn't be too crazy. Still pretty young but at least you'd know each other really well by then and be making an informed decision.

• They aren't delusional - a lot of people meet their wives and husbands in college but its not a good idea to get married before you graduate.

• You haven't been together a year yet.. you don't want to get married to quickly. That'll just end up in a divorce.

• 5 months? wayyy too soon

• Five months even if you're like 40 is too soon let alone at college age. That said, if you've been with someone for at least a year or two. I am totally for getting engaged while in college.

• No, I don't think you'll be delusional if they get engaged and are in college. They can always get engaged, and have a long engagement.

• 5 months is too soon to decide such a long lasting matter. Give it some time.

• 5 months is too soon. You're still firmly in the honeymoon phase of a relationship where everything seems hunky dory and you're oblivious to any serious flaws your significant other might have

• Maybe if you were dating for years.

• I did and don't regret it.

• 5 months is not near enough to get engaged to them!

• Too early, you both might end up dating other people while in college

• it is so early