Who should pay for the meal on a date/hangout?

Explain why

• Males
    27%(7)33%(19)Vote38%(12)
  • Females
    12%(3)16%(9)Vote19%(6)
  • Split it
    42%(11)38%(22)Vote34%(11)
  • Or just get two separate checks from the get go
    19%(5)13%(8)Vote9%(3)

Most Helpful Guy

• The person who did the asking should pay for the check.

What Guys Said 18

• Whoever invited the other person. But it'd be common courtesy, to at least ask to split/pay for your own. If it's a relationship, then whoever reaches their wallet first. :3

• The person who invited the other out

• Split, unless you're planning on giving me a bj later, then out of courtesy, I'll pay for the date :)

• Men should pay for dates/hangouts.

• Men. Because he's supposed to be a gentleman and doesn't deserve another date if he lets her pay half. That goes for any date, not just first dates. That's my personal opinion though.

• I think it all depends on the situation, but I am a little old school and always offer to pay first

• I'll pay. The minuet you complain about where I take you or how much I pay, I drop you. Then you can go where you want and pay what you want to pay by yourself.

• The guy should always pay since that's the social norm.

I always pay since I don't want to ruin my chances with her.

• Males, unless there is a really bad connection, in which case split it

• The one who eats it.

• The one who asked for the date.

• if it is a date a man is supposed to pay for it but if there is no romantic connection then she could pay for her own meal

• I normally invite in the first, and let the girl invite in the second :P

• Honestly the social norm is guys always pay because a girl would rarely ever ask a guy out so he stuck either way. But she better damn well know how to cook.

• Ladies should.

• I've always paid for my dates so I vote men.

• what do you think, asker?

• Females should pay since it's a nice gesture, it shows she cares about the man and is a lady.

• This question has all the wrong poll options. First, it doesn't include "the asker pays regardless of gender and girls should ask out guys on first dates as well", second it doesn't include "The one who has more money". Third, it's a generational and regional thing as well. People over 35 and those from very conservative areas might have been raised with gender roles, but this poll puts them all in one bucket.

IMHO there are plenty of ways to determine who should pay but using one's sex as a determining factor is the very definition of sexism.

What Girls Said 8

• None of these. Whoever asks out should pay. THEY are the ones who made the invitation, so THEY should be ready to pay for all. HOWEVER, the person invited should be willing to at least pay their share, but that person who invited is ultimately responsible for payment.

"but but women dont ask men out," yes we do. We just dont go for any and every guy like guys do with girls. Stop asking women out if you have such a hard time paying.

• Who ever asked who out first. I

• I was raised to believe that a split is the best. If the guy insists on paying the whole bill, I will feel flattered and let him. However, next time I will insist on paying the whole bill as well since he did last time.

• Separate checks.

• Always the guy if it is a first date

• what if the girl asked the guy out on a first date?

• @Exterminatore I've been asked out a lot by girls. But that was mostly in areas/countries where girls were pretty straight forward on average anyway.

• @hahanoway Then thumbs up to you sir. Keep the trend rolling.

• Always the guy, no doubt about it.

• Whoever asks and picks the venue. I have always asked so I always fight to pay and usually don't see them again if they fight me too hard on it. Splitting the bill makes it a friend hangout which is fine.. but I don't count it as a date afterwards.

• You have always asked guys on the first date?

• yeah, but it's usually a mine field for guys. I mean, the last girl that asked me out expected me to pay (which I was fine with). The next girl might be like you and if I insist on paying I may get dumped for it. :P

• @blah-blah I want to find a guy who clicks with me... not someone who will just do what they think I want. Like i said if he's not comfortable with me paying and thinks women shouldn't it won't work.

• Basically whoever instigated the date