Did you take a break from dating? Why and how long?

I'm thinking not dating for the rest of this year and probably next year. That's about the time I need to graduate school and get my life started. I'm taking the steps to get rid of the negative things in my life and tbh, guys is one of them. I'm not saying all men are bad but they do tend to come with some pretty bad experiences. I don't want that so it's time for a lifestyle change.

I changed the background of my screen to "no guys are worth my time" so I'm hoping to stick to the plan. I don't need anyone! Reading your responses is helping.

1416

Most Helpful Guy

• I took a break from serious dating for the past two years after ending a long term relationship. Got in the best shape of my life, graduated summa cum laude, moved to an awesome new city, landed my dream job, have met a lot of interesting and beautiful women, and just generally enjoying my life.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's definitely important to take a break from dating when you feel like it's having a negative impact on your life. It's good that you noticed that and are taking steps to heal yourself so that you can come back to dating with a fresh perspective. Too many people don't take the needed breaks and end up becoming super bitter and it just makes their dating experiences worse.

Coming back to dating when you have had a chance to make some necessary changes is only going to make you a more attractive and better partner. So you will probably find it has a positive impact on your dating prospects.

I take occasional breaks from dating. Currently I have been single for over a year, which is the longest I have been single in a while. I'm not in a rush to get into a relationship any time soon, unless it is a good match.

I'm taking time to work on myself, follow my passions and figure out what I want out of life. It sucks because I would like to find someone. But I realize it will happen when it happens. I can't do anything to change that.

What Guys Said 15

• I am almost always on a 'break', because I never 'seek' women out to date. All my relationships have happened 'accidentally'.

So yeah, I am currently on a break, and will continue like this, until I bumb into somone I'd want to date (and her wanting the same).

• How does it happen accidentally?

• By 'accidentally', I meant to say something like I just happen to meet someone in a specific context like a party, a conference, even an online forum etc. and I just click with someone.

I have severe social anxiety and social awkwardness, so I am incapable of socialising in conventional ways (which also rules out me approaching women and asking them out).

• Good for you, just stuck to it

• you're talking like you meet the exact type of guys you're after daily, no i never took a break from anything because i never find what iam looking for to begin with, to take a break you have to have enough of something that you just decide to ignore it for a while, in datin that is hardly the truth very, very few people actually get to date all the time and find someone they like enough to date, or they simply have no standards and no one is a bad choice.

to answer your question i didn't take a break because there is nothing to take a break from.

• I'm taking a break from bullshit, liars and cheaters

• i met a lot of nice ladies with tattooes who seemed smart as well, but i will tell you why i dont like tattooes on a girl :
      1- if i want something long term and marriage eventually i want a girl with no marks on her body that will get people talking about her and give her a reputation after all she is gonna be my kids mother and i want a respectable woman.
      2- tattooes deep down mean the girl wanna revolt and rebel against her enviroment, sourroundings and traditions and that usually involves the men she dates, needless to say having an attitude is not a good quality.
      3- soft clear skin is much more attractive on a woman and feminine

• I see your point of view. I still think differently about it (however, I don't like a million tattoos all over someone either) but I understand.

• Nope. I just don't do it that often

• How long : 30 years

Why : my father always said me : "don't look focus on what you can't have and rather put your efforts on what you can achieve".

So I avoid dating or any kind of emotions related to that and focus on my carreer, weightlifting, stamina and thay boxing :)

• I took a break when I wasn't financially stable... now i'm in a relationship after being single for 6 years.

• you should concentrate on school get it out of the way and the debt. Then the guy but do not miss out on that guy that could be. life starts now not well I am in school then after school, I can date. take dating out of vocabulary. Try courtship find the right guy not what you had before.

• I have no idea what courtship is.

• it is not dating, it is being serious about the one you want to be with. Look it up in the Dictionary it is a term used instead of dating being serious.

• Ohh. I understand

• Yeah in college it's best to hookup and have no strings attached sex, without any serious relationship

• Good job. If only more men would follow this example, they'd be much happier and won't feel the need to cry on GaG about being single. Good example for EVERYONE really.

• Yeah about 20.5 years of no dating.

• I've been in a break from dating all the way since ny birth, it isn't really voluntary.

• Yea man good decision. Im not even laying pipe much right now, fuck it. I get 6 week anxiety when i do anyway.
    Time to get my 6 pack back, invest money in something with more profitable returns

• Not a break but trying to figure out who I want because the women I truly wanted ended up using me as a rebound and played me. So that fucked me up big time.

• Not on purpose but I think I'm just giving up for now

• I took a permanent break...

You mentioned getting rid of the negative things in life and then mentioned men... you are missing the bigger picture. We attract into our lives part of what we are. Water seeks it's own level so it's quite possible that the negative things you need to get rid of are actually within..

As long as you only look at the men, you will continue to make the same mistake.

• People say that to me all the time. But I have no idea what negative energies I have that are attracting these people to me. I keep to myself, go to school and work. I have a pretty good outlook on lif, I treat people well. I don't know

• I'm working on loving myself. I like who I am for the most part but I'm very hard on myself. I compare myself to other 20-somethings who seem to be further in life than me. I need to do more things I love.

• Comparing our lives to other peoples serves no purpose. Each of us have different destinies, purpose, strengths, weaknesses, abilities and we all accomplish things at different times to others.

What Girls Said 13

• Yep I took a break from dating for over a year after my ex and I broke up. I just needed some time to find myself again without the distraction of other guys. I'd still be on a break right now if I hadn't met my now boyfriend a year ago.

• I did try to take a break from men, not because I though they were too much for my life but because I was sick of focusing on trying to find someone. It didn't work for me because a month later, I met my boyfriend.

• The longest break I took was about 4 months

• yes, diffinitely need to focus on yourself at times. when you do, you'll be even a better person for your future partner.

• After many unsuccessful dates I quit and I was convinced that I won't date anymore... after 1 day of being "convinced" I found my actual Boyfriend 😑 lol duh

• Shit you're lucky lol

• Took a beak for 4 years and just getting back into things again. I love those times that I was off the dating market. Now I just take things slowly no pressure and I'm not too bothered if I'm with a guy or not. That's not my priority at the moment. I had to be happy with myself first before looking to give happiness to someone else. It's said that charity begins at home after all and I had to practice it.😊

• I've never taken a break.

• I'm currently taking a break too and all my relationships happen by accident and I just end up getting hurt in the end by the guys I date it just to much repeated heartbreak for me.

• Yeah. I have better things to do for now

• i'm on a break from dating :) it's ur choice hun. same here, focusing on ma studies.

• I had a long break

• never, having a break always lead to a break up since one of the both would going fuck someone else.

• I think that what you're doing is a great thing. Take a break if you need to. Guys are going to be here when you feel ready to date again.
    Yes I took a break from dating before. Why? I got my heart broken... badly and I did NOT want to experience that pain again so I just vow to never give another guy a chance. How long? Over a year.