Am I picky when it comes to guys?

I've been wondering if I'm being too picky lately. So I'm just curious as to what people think based on my general list of "Deal breakers". To me, they seem pretty reasonable (they're mostly things that are either unattractive to me, or things that would majorly clash with my life). But I've been told I'm picky before. I really don't want to come across as shallow or rude, I don't consider myself shallow by any means, but this is just me being honest. So here's my list, let me know if you think this list makes me picky. Opinions welcome!

-Taller than me (I'm 5'5'' - So Anyone at least a couple inches taller is good to go for me, I don't need 6 ft or anything)

-Non-smoker (Very important - huge deal breaker)

-In Shape/Takes care of himself (I'm not saying hugely buff or a 6 pack here - I just want someone that generally is in Shape and looks like they put even a bit of effort into taking care of themselves, because I work hard to make that effort on my end)

-Hair on their head, but little to no beard/moustache (not that their not good looking or anything - just a personal preference)

-Generally liberal/tolerant views (no anti-gay, racist, misogyny, pro-life, etc)

-Not a player or "Fuckboy", actually looking for a monogamous relationship

-Will not make me partake in outdoorsy or sports-like activities (just won't happen, I'm not that girl)

-Likes animals (For their sake, mostly. I have 2 dogs, a cat and a bird - if they don't like animals they'd probably suffer at my place)

-Get along well, easy to talk together

Thanks for the help everyone! I just want some third party opinions on this to get an outside view on this. 

221

Most Helpful Guy

• Well you like what you like. There is no such thing as too picky. No one should settle for less than they want, that just leads to drama when they are replaced by a better match (and in the meantime getting on each other's nerves). I'm picky as well, if that means never getting laid again so be it, thankfully fap material is easy to find these days. Probably less picky than you though, I don't care if they are liberal or not (preferably conservative and anti-gay, but don't really care what they believe as long as they don't try to convert me, best to simply avoid topics like politics and religion, why some games ban such topics in their chat) or things like what their day job is. Not a big fan of cancer though so smokers I'd rather avoid.

Most Helpful Girl

• You are not picky these are common things we look for in a guy

What Guys Said 20

• yes you're being picky... you're not ready for a guy... as long as you can't compromise for love then that automatically makes you picky.

i understand your reasons seem legit like no one would want a fuck boy...

but the problem isn't about him/them its you cz there'll always be something you don't like about your SO... n being picky will cause you to end it instead of compromising.

Once you get into a rship with expectations/rules then its bound not to flourish (it might who knows). cz all you're thinking about is how this deal is going to satisfy me n me alone.

its a two person job... don't be picky be open minded... if he's got half of what you're looking for then go for him... n if you can overlook some of the deal breakers then do so... you won't die.

but if you can't then by all means leave his ass.

• The only time you're going to find somebody like this is when you find somebody Young as we age people will get set in their ways. You're looking for a liberal individual who likes to work out and take care of their physical body there's nothing wrong with that you care about great hygiene as well as I do maybe you should give some people a chance I would fit your description though I'm Republican I do have a nice body I work in the medical field I'm only five foot six but I'm a hundred and sixty pounds. I speak three languages my income is close to six figures I'll have a cigar and some scotch on the holidays there's nothing wrong with that. My friend has a boat I don't know but it's nice to go on. You see my picture and my good enough looking for you it doesn't show my body but is my face good enough for you. Just curious you're pretty. We all have those type of picky feelings when were younger as you get older and find somebody you need to be more tolerant you will change I agree with all the healthy things that you like. But I promise if I were to see you in person being an inch and a half taller than you I promise you have a good time with me because I am a funny person I know this cuz I'm told this a lot, I can hold my own I'm respectful towards women their bodies their feelings space privacy excetera. I believe you're a dick taking but I wouldn't throw that out when you meet somebody needs somebody get to know them for who they are, having those high expectations sometimes though cause you to have pain in your future, and you know maybe somebody has a voice that you don't particularly care for but that person could be the person of your dreams and treat you and make you feel whole love you in a way that makes you feel like the like the only woman who exists on this world don't let a vice that he has stop you and he from being together for example if he smokes work with him if he truly loves you you can go to the doctor get some Chantix and you'll be a non-smoker 90 days later. For me I'm picky too I like a well-spoken educated woman with perfect teeth brunette hair green eyes or blue eyes their eyes must catch me they better have beautiful legs and then ask to die for with a small waist I love hips. I could always buy breasts but it woman's eyes are there jewels. With all due respect to you say beautiful I hope you get what you wish, but you better find him very early in life because they'll be taking up or life just might pass you by

• Sounds like my wife that stayed single so long until she finally reconsidered me as hubby material... I was smoking at that time and she would buy cigs for me if out - so long as that was done outdoors (only 7/night anyway) but after awhile, I quit for her and many other reasons cold turkey

• seems fine to me, this is the only thing that's a little silly "no pro-life" not accepting the pro life position as equally valid as pro choice is a fairly bigoted point of view in my opinion. Equating Pro life with "Anti-gay, racist, misogyny" is especially bad. Otherwise your list looks good to me.

• Well I'm not saying they're all equal. Im not saying pro life people are the same as racists and homophobes. I'm just listing different political beliefs that wouldn't mesh well with me.

The pro life thing is simply because if I got pregnant by accident (despite taking measures to prevent it) I would absolutely get an abortion. If they were pro life that would very much upset them and I feel like it just wouldn't be a good idea to get involved with someone who's views are so opposite from mine.

• ahh okay that makes sense, thanks for clarifying. I don't know why people call you picky, that list is very reasonable.

• It's not that picky... you're normal. How picky you can be depends on how much of a catch you are though, so you evaluate that for yourself.

• So, where's the "picky" part?

• I personally don't think that list is bad, having high standards is a good thing, I always look at it as I have extremely high standards, but I look at myself very highly! Only thing I would be more accepting to is facial hair, mostly because guys tend to feel more confident with it, and I know when I shave I look like I'm 12, and I'm about to turn 20 other then that keep you're standards up!

• well the 5'4 or smaller guys are screwed. looks like its doesn't matter if they have all others things you like, they are too small for you. non smoker seems fine but debatable. what about a person who used to smoke but quits? being fits means he can't be fat right? shaved, I don't know about that. wait, the dude have to have the same political view as you? does his opinion matters? not a fkboy, well, isn't what all girls want? you want him fit but you dont want to be fit with him? what about a simple walk in the park or the beach? liking animals is also debatable. so he can't have fears towards animals? easy to talk, not that difficult for most people. to answer your question, its quite picky when it comes to his personality. when it comes to looking physically goodn it isn't that picky.

• 1. They don't have to have exact same political feelings, but I will not date a racist, homophobe, etc.
      2. Lol Fuckboy is a no go, but thats obvious (I like nice boys)
      3. Beards just dont attract me. Light stubble is fine but I just am grossed out by large beards
      4. No I don't like it if he's fat because I work out 4x a week to have a nice body, he at least needs to put SOME work in lol
      5. Walks on the beach/park are fine. Even a bike ride is fine. By outdoorsy I mean I'm won't hike, ski, do major camping, etc.
      6. The animals I don't really care if they don't like them but if they don't they sure won't like my house lol and I'd never get rid of my animals for anyone. So that's the only thing on that. They don't have to like them, but they should if they want to feel comfortable in my house (2 dogs, cat and parrot)

• Oh and smoking is probably the biggest deal breaker. I find it really gross and irresponsible. But if they quit of course that's fine. But I won't accept the "I'm quitting soon" argument. Quit and then come and talk to me.

• Your to young to be picky... what matters to you now and whats important to you now will not be the same in 10 years and that list will be different.

• This is nowhere close to picky and you have no reason to worry about being shallow or rude. I'd say that your requirements are normal , maybe even less that your average girl.

• Very picky

• Girl, just like what you like regardless what people say here

• that's basically all guys

• Is a smoker a big deal breaker? I find most girls end up looking past that.

• No that's probably the biggest one actually. I don't have much respect for smokers these days, I think its really gross

• yeah, i fit all of that and still a single loser.

• Just look for tall 12 year old girls and you'll be fine.

• Seems pretty obtainable to me.

• so if he was your height or just 1 cm taller you will not date him?

• If she is of average height, why can't she like guys who can also reach the average height for their sex?

• No I don't think I'd like that. I don't want to be the tall one in the relationship. I'm not even that tall so all I'm asking for is at least a couple inches taller. Then I can wear heels and we'll still be the same height.

• Yeah I prefer short girls anyway. <5' toward the front of the line., 5"1'-5'4" toward the back.

• Yes. Very picky

• Those seem pretty standard there has to be more to it than that.

What Girls Said 1

• 0|0
    • What's picky about it in your opinion?

• the physical appearances, the outdoors activities, that he has just to LIKE WHATEVER YOU LIKE, and honestly, that makes you picky.
      BUt hey it's my opinion, i agree about the getting along together but that's about it :)