How do I earn back my dads trust?

last weekend I was on a date with my boyfriend, and my dad's best friend walked in and said hello to me. My dad didn't know I was dating until his best friend asked him about the guy I was out with.

Now My dad is demanding to meet him since I'm "only" 15. And I'm grounded for going behind his back, and am not allowed to see him again until my dad meets him. I don't think it's fair. My dad is really intimidating which is why I didn't want him to know in the first place. How do I get his trust back so I can see my boyfriend again?

15

Most Helpful Guy

• By being upfront. He has every right to be upset, you are young, your dating behind his back which could lead to sexual things which could in turn lead to pregnancy and life altering consequences. Its perfectly reasonable to be upset that you would betray his trust that way. Especially since you intentionally hid it from him, that makes what your doing even more suspicious. So you tell him about your boyfriend, explain why you where afraid to tell him about him and then set something up to let him meet your boyfriend. His job is to protect you which he cannot do if you are hiding things from him, this is his purpose in life to ensure the best life and outcomes for you even if you don't see it that way or even agree with his views that is what he is doing so try to keep that in mind.

• That makes sense. I wish he would explain things like that to me though. Instead he just acts all mad and it scares me. It feels less like he cares and more like he's just a jerk.

• Well he is scared you might do something like have sex and get pregnant or be with a guy that will mistreat you or any number of things. thats why he is angry. Not every one is good at communicating there thoughts and feelings and putting them into words, especially when angry. Like I said talk communicate explain why you did what you did why you hid it from him and then as a peace offering let him meet your boyfriend tell him how he is what kind of guy he is and go from there.

Most Helpful Girl

• Your dad is completely reasonable. He needs to meet up with your boyfriend in order to decide whether he is trustworthy or not. That's the only way you can earn his trust. Next time, don't lie to your parents.

What Guys Said 4

• Good luck. It'll certainly take a while. I doubt you'll be able to see your boyfriend for a while.

• Be honest

• Your dad is a bad influence.

• Tsk tsk bubbles is in troubles.
    Be upfront with him always. Best solution

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!