Guys, if you met a girl that is 100% your type, but you found out she is extremely depressed and mentally ill, would you still date her?

32

Most Helpful Guy

• It very much depends.
    That's not a useful answer, so I'll elaborate.

I have been in this type of situation before, and I ended up not dating her. Not because I wasn't attracted (I very much was) but because in this particular case she needed a true friend more than a boyfriend. I don't mean that a boyfriend is not your friend, but there's stress to a romantic relationship, and it wouldn't have been good long term. I liked her enough to put her long term wellbeing above my feelings and simply be the best friend I could. She credits my friendship with helping her, so as far as I'm concerned that was the correct decision in my case.

However (and this is a big however) The fact someone has a mental illness is not a reason not to date them unless dating them would cause more harm than good. Illness, physical or mental, is not something to drop a partner for (consider marriage vows: "In sickness and in health" - no mention of whether that sickness is physical or mental). So evaluate the situation and do what is best for the person you have feelings for.

What Guys Said 31

• Of course.
    I will put all my energy, time and effort to build her up and help her to get out of that mentality. When i love someone i will do anything for them.

My girlfriend of six years been near of such situation when we met.
    Depression, self-harming - Certain mental conditions etc. . .
    She's nothing near that now.

And when something goes out of my hands. I will take help from somewhere else but i won't leave her because of it.

• In a heartbeat.
    Unlike women, we don't mind the "extra baggage".

• Of course i would, with no doubt or hesitation.
    I will invest all my life in to her mental health, so she will recover.
    By the way, depression can easily be cured once you find the 100% "your type", so that is not a problem at all.
    I will do my best for her.

• Yes... I have and she was one of the best women I've ever dated. We are still amazing friends and Ill always help her and be there for her when she needs. And she feels the same way for me

You just need to find the right guy who genuinely cares about a person's well being

• She wouldn't be my type if she's depressed.

• Yes - BUT I would go forward with extreme caution. I would realize that she may have more than I can handle and that I should let her know as soon as possible that I can't handle it and it wouldn't work out so that I don't waste either of our time. Some people can handle these kinds of people, and others can't. I can't say for sure that I can, but I'm willing to give it a try.

• Absolutely not.

• She can't be 100% my type if she's depressed and mentally ill.

• Nope. Sorry. Been there, done that, never again.

• Yes! Maybe I am her cure :)

• Extremely mentally ill? Yeah, don't do that.

• Of course! I'm in the same boat pretty much so I understand her problems. I'd be there for her and make sure she knows how important she is.

• as long as we are complementary in the relationship and not antagonistic, I'd say it's all right. I'm crippingly depressed as well, so as long as that brings us closer and not further apart, I'm good

• If her ill doesn't make her swear at me , i would xD

• Aw hell naw !

• Yes cause maybe I could help her out

• I don't know. If its always a huge problem and we can't have fun together, then I don't think so.

• Yes! But I'd try to get her therapy first!

• Nah too much stress

• yes...

• i would still date n find out some more but be cautious

• Yes because you could be the person to change her life around

• a girl who is mentally ill is not 100% my type. Not her fault... we just don't match. I deal with enough mental illness at work, I dont need it at home too.

• ya dear i'll take care of her but just as a friend because i m already bound to someone 😊

• Fuck no. Mentally ill girls will make your life a living HELL. I've seen it too many times.

• The girl I like I assume she is somewhat mentally
    Well not mental but like
    Heart broken and crazy lol
    And id love to date her and I'm ready for all of the crazy thats coming with it

• Mentally ill? If she was 100%deprrssed and my type, I'd do whatever to make her happy again. But how mentally ill we talking about?

• we are talking about a woman, that means lunatic, kissing you in one second, while gragbing the kitchen knife next second.

• @Muglintar no... that's exactly the opposite of what I meant. When people say "mentally ill", they don't necessarily mean bipolar psychopaths

• It depends.

The reality is I also have needs in a relationship, and I can shelve them for a while, but long term, if they aren't being met it eats up my self esteem and drags me down.

So if she's able to meet my needs while also leaning on me heavily, frankly, I find girls like that really emotionally... they draw me in, it's bad for me, but they do. I can -handle- her being depressed and be supportive without trying to fix her, encouraging her where I can, and being there for her otherwise.

But if she can't steadily meet my needs, i'd -need- to stay away in terms of dating because i'd go down with her in misery otherwise.

• You are under 18... every post-1999 female is mentally ill and depressed.
    It is why there is a massive cutting fad with your generation.
    You might feel you are unique but you are just like every other girl your age.

• I don't think every girl my age has voices in her head screaming and telling her to kill herself for no reason at all, difficulties with recognising what's reality and what's an illusion, and a broken family.

• Actually, "broken family" is so common now it's cliche. Depression and suicidal tendencies are also very common with gen-z kids. It's fall out of a privileged and entitled generation. Helicopter parenting and a lack of discipline.

Can I assume you are part of the self harm fad?

• I actually think self harm is ridiculous and dumb, especially the kids who cut on obvious places, they're simply screaming for attention. Life is not a pity contest, so I don't understand your massive urge to disqualify my mental illnesses. Pain is pain, and *gasp* not all humans are the same, sometimes things that you find ridiculous actually hurt other people.

• Yes, seems like many people are that way.

• More from Guys
    1