Why do most women of my generation not enjoy cooking?

Most women from my mom's and grandmother's generation were such good cooks. I mean I would drive 4 hours just to get a dinner from my grandma, it was amazing. Meanwhile here I am, a 20 year old guy trying to find a girl who likes to cook and I can't. It seems like every woman I meet says "Cook? Hah the only thing I can make is cereal"... seriously? Cooking is such a good skill to have, and I honestly find it very enjoyable, I would kill (figuratively) to have a girl who would cook with me, why didn't the skills get passed down from mothers to daughters like it did in the old days? My mom learned how to cook from her mother, who learned how to cook from her mother, etc. But with my generation there seems to be a disconnect, what gives? Why is it that the generation I am a part of most women suck at cooking?

156

Most Helpful Girl

• There is no respect for the older generations. What they did is seen as old-fashioned and wrong by many people. Throwing out the "old" ways is wrong. Old doesn't mean bad nor does new make it better. Some things don't need to change. Knowing to cook is one of them.
    I have fought my daughter on this subject. She is now learning to cook. Finally.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you go to Taco Bell outside of school hours you can pretend those girls are your girlfriend.

What Girls Said 14

• i *can* cook; i just don't enjoy it.

the last thing i want to do after a long day of work or school is more work; and, if something takes longer to make than it does to eat, it's not worth the effort.

(worth noting: my husband works nights, so i'd be making supper for myself only.)

i love to bake, though, and i make a bomb cheesecake.

• Its not that I can't cook, or dont enjoy it, but I dont want a man to expect me to cook. Its the biggest turn off in the world when I find out most men can't cook for themselves, because then that means should we get married, Im gonna be expected to do it. And no honey, Im not your mom. Learn to be self sufficient. Be an adult, I dont date boys.

If I had children, you best bet your ass that theyll BOTH learn. Boy or girl, its an important skill to have.

• because the generation before didn't teach them.

not sure where you live but get you a southern girl if you like women who can cook. ( not all southern girls can cook, but a lot of us do)

• I love cooking. I used to help my mother in the kitchen from the age of 5 lol I love cooking for family and friends

I think most women have busy live's, so they tend to just cook convenience food . Not all women do though

• Why can't you also learn to cook?

I LOVE to cook, but if a guy expects me to be his maid, he's in for a rude awakening.

• Well, many men don't do the things associated with men either anymore, like fixing cars or whatever the hell they did. People often choose to pay now for things that they did themselves way back when, as it's readily avaliable.

Personally, I can cook, but I don't exactly enjoy it.

• It's not just women that suck at cooking, but men too. For one, if you can go home and find food ready from your mother or grandma, you don't have to learn. Also, it's that people are always busy and anxious and food delivery is convenient.

• tbh i like cooking mainly because it's fun and i loveee food lol

in all honesty though, that's a big generalization, and i mean you could always learn to cook yourself... it's a skill each gender should know bc everyone's gotta eat lol

• I can cook and I enjoy it but I have to be in the mood to cook.

• i love cooking and baking! but working in a kitchen for 8 hours each day is making me dislike it :'(

• I don't enjoy it much but I know how to cook and I have to because I have children. But I think a lot of us don't enjoy it because we have other responsibilities to deal with and sometimes we don't get the support from the spouse. However, it'd be more enjoyable if my partner and I did it together.

• I enjoy cooking, just sometimes cooking feels like a triathlon because I have no energy or patience.

• You know YOU can learn to cook right?

• Maybe you should find a girl who is willing to learn how to cook.
    I think back then, it was passed down because most women were homemakers.

What Guys Said 5

• That's a huge turn off in my opinion. I know how to cook. If you don't know how to cook, then how would you live on your own? Are you going to rely on processed foods/take out? That's ridiculous. Being an adult means you can cook for yourself.

I love how these women need to declare that they are not maids. My girlfriend actually enjoys going out of her way help cook a lot of my meals. She knows I like them and she gets satisfaction out of that. She likes knowing that my body is a product of her cooking as well. What's wrong with that? Nothing. Don't give into this feminist propaganda bullshit.

• Anybody who can't cook is forever a child. Male or female.

• the main reason your generation of women do not like to cook is because modern day women are taught that they do not need to do anything. As a result modern day woman put little to no effort in anything.

• Lol cuz men do, right? Or is it a myth that there are more women in college than men?

• FYI I'm 23 years old. Guaranteed that when I'm your age, I'll be earning double, maybe triple, your salary. Peace Mofo :)

• @rushthesand Well, I don't know about that. You'll need to earn a hell of a lot of cash. That's NOT gonig to happen though. You are going to work and get the high roller job then you are going to look for a guy whos' a higher roller than you and quit.

• Too many happy meals with instant gratification as a kid?

• Yeah it's a shame what has happened to women. Most today hardly know how to boil water. I know more men who can cook than women.