Would you date someone with a mental illness?

1511

Most Helpful Guy

• Living in this day and age we all have an mental illness. But one that is diagnosed it would depend on what it is.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have really really bad social anxiety disorder. Everyday things are so difficult for me, such as: talking on the phone, going to work (this is why I don't have a job atm), going shopping, eating in front of people, etc. I put a lot of things off because of it and that can get on my boyfriends nerves.

I dread just leaving the house in case I see someone I know and have to say "hi" and smile as I go past them. That's how bad it is.

It's really tough to deal with because I WANT to be able to do things for myself and be independent but my own fears of looking stupid and feeling uncomfortable are stopping me. It makes me feel depressed too and I don't feel like I can do anything about it either because it's a battle against myself. I don't even like going to the doctors to try and "sort it out" because well... I'd have to talk to a stranger. Even if I had a life threatening illness I think going to the doctors/hospital would be difficult for me.

My boyfriend deals with it quite well but it's hard. He just has to take the reins a lot and do things for me. I won't go shopping without him, he has to order food or pay for things, and I give him the money back afterwards. But he is understanding and does *encourage* me to better myself instead of *pressuring* me to. There is a big difference. There are times I've been forced into tough situations by an ex (who thought it was what I needed) and then got annoyed when I got upset and broke down. I get panic attacks too. I'm just a mess really :/ It's nice seeing how proud he is of me when I do something simple like ordering food though.

What Guys Said 10

• I have and it was tough because when issues between us came up, I never knew if it was because her illness or just her. It put a lot of extra stress on me that was not need.

• You do realize more than 25 percent people have or had some sort of mental illness in their lifetimes right.

• Yes of course

• I already did actually, kind of difficult but i managed for a while

• Maybe

• Even the xxx movie star depika padukone has depression or something. It didn't stop the hot hunk ranveer Singh.

• I have one, I've dated plenty

• Depends, which one?

• never

• Most women are already psychos so i guess its inevitable

What Girls Said 14

• kind of depends on what the mental illness is, how well that person functions, etc.

• I'm mentally ill so I'd have to be careful. If their mental illness made mine worse or vice versa, then we couldn't date. Health comes first.

• I once tried to date a guy with anxiety, problem is I have lupus which comes with depression and his anxiety would trigger my depression. So I just stopped trying to make it work. We used to talk, text, and facetime everyday all day, now it's occasional (1-2 month gaps). Despite it all we were best friends before anything else but I wouldn't go through it again.

• It depends on what type of mental illness and the severity of it. There's so many. Most people suffer from Depressin at some stage in their lives. So I'd be ok if he suffered from depression or anxiety issues

• Yes and I am

• Depends on illness and the willingness of the person to work through it. My boyfriend has OCD and I have anxiety. But we both work out , eat healthy, and strive to improve ourselves. If he's freaking over a tick I calm him down. If I'm having a panic attack he patiently waits it out with me. It doesn't have to be dabilitating. It's just a trial

• depends on the illness

• I have 4 so of course.

• It all really depends. I wouldn't want my problems to worsen their's or their's to worsen mine. It depends on the compatibility.

• No...

• I have one myself so as long as its not too severe I wouldn't mind much

• Depends on the illness and the severity.

• Yes. I have ocd myself.

• I was depressed about a year ago and my boyfriend at the time was very nice and supportive but I always felt like I was sucking out the life from him

• I felt the same. Or I kept him from doing things because I couldn't go out that day or something

• Nope.