Would you date someone of a different religion?

Let's say you really love them and their personality, but you just found out they're religion differs from yours. Example: you're Christian, but they're Pagan. Or you're Atheist but they're Catholic. What would you do?

4672

Most Helpful Guy

• I am a Christian. I am currently dating a girl who was born to a Jewish family but who describes herself as simply spiritual. I maintain my religious practices and beliefs and I do not preach to her. My life should serve as an example to her.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can date believers/non-practicers. Basically people who believe in God, dabble in the bible, but not the hardcore go-to-church-and-I-expect-you-to-pray-with-me types. My boyfriend was raised religious, and while he believes in God, he doesn't adhere to all of these ridiculous notions like "you can't have sex before marriage", "if you commit a sin you immediately go to hell" - new age stuff. I can't date seriously religious people because our views conflict too much, and most seriously religious people expect you to raise your future kids with their religion - which I wouldn't allow. My boyfriend and I agreed that if we ever had a kid that they'd be allowed to choose what they believe.

So theists or non-practicers is what I aim for.

• good answer there is some generallisation in this though. well what im trying to say is that it a person can also be highly religious and acceptive of other believes (i. e. dosent automatically mean he will try to enforce his or her religion onto others) :)

• @xxromant I never denied that it was a generalization but the commonality of such things is what deters me.

What Guys Said 71

• Yes i would.
    Religion is a personal belief and an opinion. Everyone have the right to have so. It would be very difficult to find someone who have the exact same personality, ideology, belief, believe and perspective. We are functioned by our differences. Our brain works brilliant in assurance of this. Religion is a factor like any other.
    There are several main keys in order to maintain a healthy relationship. The most related ones during this subject would be "Respect" "Mutual communication" "Mutual understanding" "Mutual agreement" "Acceptance"

As long as the parties respect each other. Have an open communication and a good amount of understanding and a firm agreement as well as maturity and they accept each other for who they are and the way they are. It is going to work out perfectly.

Personally i know a couple who are Christian and atheist. They living a happy life with three children out there in New York.

What i would do?
    I would have no problem. As long as my partner be capable of achieving the elements i have explained above. Being able to see outside of the box. As long as they don't bring displeasure and disturb me very furiously with their belief.
    -Not thinking their belief is the only correct one.
    -Not thinking their religion is the best out of the best and the only right one
    -Not thinking they are saved and others are lost
    -Not trying to put their belief down to everybody's throat
    -Not trying to constantly guide me through their own belief
    -Not becoming rude and immoral because of they think is right and others doing it otherwise.
    -Not being weak instead be flexible for challenges that might come toward their belief because of the diversity in between.

• if you're really in love with your partner it's worth a shot ! I have seen a couple in my college... they have relationship of 5 years and counting ! it never really bothered to them ! You're gonna face a lot ups and downs throughout the road ! Your bond will receive a crack at every step ! but then giving in is your responsibility ! make it so strong that no problem can break it! And eventually as you look back... you realise the thick and thins you went through was all worth it !!

• Yes i would. Religion shouldn't be a reason why you wouldn't date someone you're interested in. (IMO)

• I don't have a problem with people of another religion but the people you date are the people you end up with and it is part of my religion for couples to go through a ceremony that makes it where if you to die, you are still married. It is going against the words "Til death do you part". In some countries, (like mine) you have to have two marriage ceremonies, one to make you married until you die and another for eternity because the second one is not recognised by the government as a marriage. I want to be married to my spouse when I die so I don't want to date someone outside of my religion. Another reason is that my religion involves bringing your kids up to follow the same beliefs and that can be hard if your spouse has other ideas.

• It's good if we are of same religion
    But I don't mind tbh if we're in love

• No, I'm not religious and would not date a religious woman. I think the difference between believers and non-believers is much bigger than the difference between believers of different faiths.

• Not sure if this counts. I am not religious at all and a long time ago dates a Catholic girl. We got on really well, but her religion kept causing issues, it's not what spilt us up, but it didn't help.

• If your beliefs are among the more exclusive faiths (Christianity or Islam), I don't see how you can date someone of another faith. If your faith means that little to you, I wonder if you truly even have faith.

If you are an atheist, agnostic or Hindu, I don't think it would matter much either way.

• yes religion doesn't matter if you both have understanding it's enough

• If they wouldn't force their religion on me, yes

• I don't give a damn about it.

• I guess it depends on the level of their belief and whether it would get in our way or not. But I have in the past several times, been good and bad ones.

• Devout atheist here. Dated a born again Christian girl in college. Never again.

• No, I would and could not.
    If the person was agnostic or atheist, that could work, but not if they were devout followers of another religion.
    I am an Odinist.
    Christians et al. would want to burn me at the stake, which they did to my kind for about 1,000 years.
    The cult of worshipping a dead Jew and praising weakness, cowardice and sexual repression as virtues is repugnant to me.

• Since I have no religion I don't think I have much choice. I think that my views are respected and if she doesn't try to convert me, there are no problems. I won't question her if she doesn't question me.

• yeah d00d

• Relgion is irrelevant to me. I don't believe in a higher power. If you choose to, great, go ahead, just don't try to push your beliefs on me.

• Depends on the religion and how into it she was. I could even deal with a devout type of certain faiths. A devout Orthodox Jew or Muslim, realistically I couldn't live with for a lifetime. You should only date if you see a potential future with someone, someone you can live with and have children with.

• no i would not... i'm done trying to understand or adapt to her rules. Done trying to fit in her family

• I'm atheist and I have a crush on a girl that is Christian and before seeing this i never though about this. I don't have any problem dating a person like that.
    With a little exception : To don't try to convert me to her religion.

• If they not hardcore religious yes I would.

• Yeah, I would. In fact, I am, and I say that because I don't believe in any specific religion, I have my own set of religious beleifs and morals. So there is no way my girlfriend believes in the exact same religion that I do.

• Date !! Love is stronger then belive

• yes. if my beliefs are respected, i will respect theirs

• As long as they don't want to convert me, and their religion doesn't make them too prude, or have another trait that could be a deal breaker, yes, I'd date them.

• Depends on the religion.
    Practicing christian, judaist, hinduist or muslim = no
    Buddhist, shintoist or a non-practicing christian = yeah

• So long as they are not religious, I don't care.

• i wouldn´t date anybody who´s super religious.

• No, I wouldn't. I don't have the patience of the time to be dating someone with different views.

• Unless she's a fanatic, I don't see any problems.

• More from Guys
    41

What Girls Said 45

• When I started dating my boyfriend I was Christian and he was agnostic. Then I realized Christianity is bullshit and became agnostic too. Now I am pagan and he is still agnostic. We just don't really talk about religion. He doesn't know the details of what I believe.

• No, as long as we don't try to convince each other and fight about it, i would be okay, I don't really mind to be honest :)

• I want to raise my kids in my faith so that might be a problem in an interfaith relationship.

Also I want to freely practice my faith without feeling like my husband will hinder me from doing so (example if i want to wear the Hijab) and I don't want to feel like I'm hindering him (if he wants to drink alcohol or eat pork for example, I'm not even allowed to have alcohol in the house).

And last but no least, my religion is a big part of my life and it's a part of my life i would like to share with the man who will share my life. It's a topic that I talk about a lot when I'm with other Muslims, and I wouldn't to feel like I'm annoying him or forcing my faith on him. I want to fast Ramadan with my husband, pray with him, discuss religion with him etc it's like for example people who love , music or sports, they would like to share this part of their life with their SO.

Also I feel like only a Muslim man will understand me 100% and it's just so much easier in terms of understanding each other. I wouldn't want to be with a man who disrespects my faith or my people, a man who knows nothing about us except for whatever is being said on Fox news. Even worse if they also are wannabe know it alls and confident in their ignorance. I want a man who has a legit insight on my faith and culture.

If I weren't practicing maybe it wouldn't have been a problem, but I am a religious Muslim.

• If you did marry someone of a different faith and had children with them could you rase them with both faiths and let them chose?

• Yes, I have , and I would again. Both my parents weren't of the same religion , but they had a long and happy marriage.

• It depends. My boyfriend is Christian but he's sort of like a non denominational chill Christian that doesn't really stress much about it. For this reason we get along. I am tremendously spiritual and follow (as best I can) an almost Buddhist lifestyle. I have my beliefs but as I don't believe in an organized religion, I don't get offended if people think differently nor do I feel a need for my partner to conform to my ideas. But for two different religions that both partners believe strongly, I don't think that's a good idea

• Yea, definitely. I don't personally follow any religion, so I'm good south anything. So long as they don't try and convert me, I don't see why there'd be an issue

• Yes, conversations would never be boring and I'd get to learn about their beliefs.

• It depends on the religion.

• I'm a Christian but he is Atheist and it kind of works but not really, I drag him to church and I try to make him pray. He is just... worships his ex and money and his hobby and video games... he worships himself and his time alone doing things to make him happy more than God and doing things to make God happy. He also has no remorse for any sins he has done, which to me tells me that he doesn't care about the fact that he did those sins and that he would do it again and again if he wanted to. He isn't here to worship God or to fear God, he is just here to make himself happy. Drugs, hobbies, sex and more drugs. oh and money.

• So long as they don't force their belief on me and we talk about and agree on the kid (when it comes to that point lol)

• No because as I'm Christian, the Bible says do not be unequally yoked- but I would still be friends with them and share about the Lord with them and if they ended up being saved then yah

• That's good. It leaves you free to date Catholics, Greek orthodoxes and the rest of people in the Christian world.

• I am right now

• Of course i would! Religion means very little to me though. And i actually think my last relationship didn't work out because he knew my stance on religion and he was a hard core christian sooooo

• No, because I can't. I am christian and it is forbidden to be with a nonbeliever. Plus, I believe love comes from God, so I wouldn't fall in love with the wrong person if I am following God's path for me.

• Probably not. Nope.

• I used to be very open minded and be down with dating people from other religions. But the funny thing is they demand I respect their religion but don't respect the fact I'm an atheist. So now hell no. They can get bent.

• I wouldn't care, but I'm not religious at all, that makes it easier, too.
    Well, although I do make it a point that I don't appreciate people trying to talk me into participating into religious stuff. But as long as they leave me alone with it, I'd take them.

• we have diff religions in my family and there has never been any issue. we respect each other and honestly we don't give a damn other people's religion as long as they're nice so yes I would date someone of diff religion as long as he believes in God.

• My boyfriend was born to a Hindu family. I'm a Catholic. We are both not too religious though. He's open minded about my religion so he does come to Church with me sometimes.

• Depends on the person.

• Religion does not matter as long as you're happy

• I could, just as long as they respect my beliefs ( I don't believe in religion) and they don't force their religion down my throat.

• I am an atheist and I don't think I'd have a reason not to date someone Catholic, Muslim etc. It doesn't make anyone a worse/better person.

• I respect his views, he respects mine.
    I'm a Muslim, he's a Christian.
    9 months.

• Obviously you don't respect your own "views", because if you did you would know you can't be dating a christian.

• I am christian and would date a Muslim, a Jewish person or a Hindu

• I would date them if they weren't that religious. I'm a Buddhist and have dated a Catholic before, no problem for me as long he won't force his religion on me.

• I prefer not to

• It depends. I am an agnostic/atheist from a Catholic family and my boyfriend is a secular Jew. Despite our differences in culture and upbringing, we get along well because we have very similar personal beliefs.

• No I wouldn't

• I honestly have no idea...

• More from Girls
    15