Do numbers really affect how you're viewed?

Ok so I watched a film called 'what's your number', I would definitely recommend it! It's a romantic comedy but there's more comedy than romance. Basically she reads a magazine saying once you've slept with more than 20 people that's it... you'll never find the one (that concept anyways). So she goes back through the past 19 guys she's slept with to find out if any of them could be 'the one' so she doesn't hit 20 without it being her final lover.

So... what do you guys think? How many people is too many and does it affect how others perceive you?
Have any of you had loads of partners?Do numbers really affect how you're viewed??

13

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that for a variety of reasons most people have a limit to what kind of sexual past they would be willing to accept in a partner, but where that line is drawn will varry a bit from person to person. Sure some people genuinely don't care at all, but most care to some extent. So I wouldn't say a girl who has had 20 partners will be unable to find a guy to marry her, its just that by sleeping with that many guys she will have just narrowed her dating pool a bit more than if she hadn't. Another factor is how attractive you are. For example a guy is much more likely to overlook a girls past if she is really attractive, but usually they aren't. That is one reason why I think girls are more willing to overlook a guy's past. Usually the only guys who are able to get lots of casual sex are guys who are above average in terms of looks and charm. For women the barrier to entry isn't as high. You don't have to be exceptionally good looking or charming to get guys to have no strings attatched sex with you. There are numerous fat mediocre looking sluts but you won't find many fat mediocre looking manwhores. So guys don't really have as much incentive to overlook a girl's promiscuous past.

As a final point, you can be perceived more negatively for lacking experience. Guys who are virgins are often looked down upon by both men and women.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, of course numbers affect how you are viewed. People who claim that numbers don't affect anything, probably live in a different world.

What Guys Said 2

• My view on numbers is very simple - so long as they don't exceed mine by, say, 2-3 people then I don't mind.

• Yeah

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!