Am I just too picky?

My best male friend of 6 years just told me that he is in love with me. He has written me paragraphs of his feelings towards me, and is begging for me to give him a chance. The issue is this; we have been on several dates and although he has a good job (makes more than me), he has never offered to pay for me on our date. We always split the bill. This bothers me. Thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• How many times does he need to pay for you to feel comfortable in moving forward? Doesn't sound like a romantic relationship sounds like a materialistic one so how many times?

• Be honest, if you really liked a girl wouldn't you want to at the very least "offer" to pay for a date? I mean an extra $20 for a person you've known for 6 years, and someone you've been out with on 5 dates, isn't a big deal. Right?

• Thank you :)

Most Helpful Girl

• What? Seriously. I always offer to pay, or split the bill. If he insists I won't ruin it for him, but I will always bring money ;) You shouldn't make this a deal-breaker. Sure, it's attractive and somewhat romantic when he pays, but still.

What Guys Said 4

• This is a huge deal cause your making it seem your not after his personality nor your trying to get know him. 1st 2 dates Im not paying for anything. I don't know her like that and far as I'm concern filling your belly up dont translate to I knew you personally. You can do or feel any type of way. But dating shouldn't be about money or food which both have at home. What both don't have is knowing each other. ( though both been friends awhile)

• it bothers you in the sense that you want him to cover all costs?

• No. It bothers me in the sense that never once has he offered to pay for a date. When the bill comes, even if it is $40- he will split it with me. If you like someone wouldn't you want to at the very least offer to pick up the tab even once?

• Let's be honest, if you really liked a girl and have known her for 6 years, you wouldn't offer to pay $20 to cover her tab as even a 1-time gesture?

• you can't compare our answers to him though. he is his own person. if you wanna base decisions off generalizations then you'll get either inconclusive or incorrect results.

• I would say if you are both the more conservative type of people then maybe it reflects lack of chivalry but if you are both more liberal progressives then it should be normal. However, offering to pay is polite on the first 1 or 2 dates at least (but I'm more conservative!)

• way too fucking picky

What Girls Said 1

• tell him about that and ask why he does that, maybe he has his reasons (which are legit in his ears).