A 26 year old dating a 48 year old? Thoughts?

I'm a college student and he's a professor- but not in my department.

Just to be clear: He is not MY professor - he won't have anything to do with my grades!

623

Most Helpful Guy

• Here are my thoughts, from a relationship coaching lens.

1) Dating someone 22 years older than you, from my lens, isn't an issue. Notice I said dating. Dating is having fun, getting to know someone, sharing similar hobbies, conversation topics, etc.

2) A relationship between two people that are 22 years apart is a whole different ball of wax. Why? Two reasons: 1. Difference physical appetites; 2. Different social comforts.

3) This isn't to say that two people that are 22 years apart never work out, it can happen but it does not work out a lot more often than it does. 10 years and 500 clients into this gig--I can tell you this with certainty.

So just ask yourself, am I dating this guy or am I looking for the long game with this guy?

Most Helpful Girl

• while it's too wide of a gap for me personally, i think you're safe as long as you are both consenting adults and you never have a class with him.

worth noting: at my university, you still have to take distribution requirements (aka classes that have nothing to do with your degree); if that's the case at your school as well, it is possible for you to end up in one of his classes, so be mindful of what he teaches and steer clear if you can.

What Guys Said 22

• I've always been a stalwart advocate for love beyond age. But you have a responsibility to make sure you are in it for the right reasons, and that he isn't trying to take advantage of you. It can be tricky, but if you're both honest and mature about it, there's really no problem.

• The age.. doesn't really matter since you are in your mid 20s. I do think it's not good that he is a teacher... I don't think it matters if you are in his class or not. I think he still has guidelines saying he can't or he might lose his job.

• Depends... do you truly value him as a person? are you dating him just for his status/wealth? is he just a fetish for you? Do you believe he actually cares for you? are you sure he's not just taking advantage of you? is he proud of you, or does he hide you away like a guilty pleasure? not trying to judge you or him, but these are the questions you need to ask yourself in order to evaluate if this relationship is healthy and sustainable... if either of you are taking advantage of the other than the relationship is toxic and not worthy of maintaining even if you're both using each other.

• Age gap is big but it's not my problem. Things can work if they're willing to make it work. The older part must be more patient though.

• Sketch. my ex did it With a Guy 40 years older who was a professor. I take it as an obsession or gold digger type security blanket.

• Gross lol

• thats a little weird

• yeah ok. You're both old enough to make rational healthy decisions so it's really your business. No right or wrong. Love has no age (except where the law is concerned luckily :))

• But do check the university policy. I had a crush on one of my profs in uni and I couldn't do anything with her (though she was attracted) because it could put her job on the line so I didn't pursue it at all. Not worth it.

• Lucky professor

• It's fine.

• He's old enough to be your father.

• well its your call-I would not condemn it as mad

• I'm find a hot guy and not a rabidly aging teacher

• Good way to get a grade boost

• Abuse of power is he there to teach or get his dick sucked?

• Whatever makes you happy all that matters.

• No that's too much of a gap.

• He will fuck you
    Stay away :)

• go for it if u wanna do it. don't let other people tell you what is or is not socially acceptable. As long as you're both comfortable in the relationship then it's cool

• I've heard of this happening before , does it ever work out though? such a big age gap

• Daddy issues along with fucking for the grade.

• when he's 70 your 48
    doesn't seem thaaaattt bad

What Girls Said 5

• sure why not?

• Do you want this for a long term relationship?

• Not necessarily.. I don't know. I just got out of relationship.

• Well in 15 years do you want to be taking care of an old man? If you marry this guy that is something to think about. That's why now I only date in my age range.

• You're right!

• He'll never see you as his equal

• I don't see a problem... Two consenting adults.

• Is he good looking? or does he look like your dad?