Why is my boyfriend pushing me away?

I've been dating my boyfriend for nearly a year. We are both divorced and have children from our previous marriages so needless to say, we are busy and getting quality time together is tough. He also travels extensively for his job and has an executive level position so the job stress is pretty high.

Recently though he has started pushing me away. We haven't seen each other in two weeks and he has made no future plans with me so I have no idea when we will see each other again. He barely texts and when he does, it's often just a quick hello or goodnight. When I ask about getting together he tells me he's busy but he is at least apologetic.

His ex wife got engaged last weekend and I believe that has something to do with his behavior. He doesn't care about her getting married in the sense that he's jealous or anything but I know he's worried about a new father figure for his kids. He also told me they are having issues with his 16 year old son.

I totally understand the pressure he must feel right now but how do I get him to let me in? I want to provide emotional support but it's hard for me to do if he won't share. I miss him and just want him to engage with me. :(. But I decided to not push him as I don't want to drive him away.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get him to come back around? I just want my sweet guy back. :(

5

Most Helpful Guy

• hey, I know it's no fun to feel like you're being pushed away but it's a good sign that he's at least apologetic.

Perhaps if you went up to him and told him how you felt and forcefully suggested that he pick a day or two next month where you two could go on a little roadtrip.

My stepdad lives on a farm and unfortunately sometimes my mom has to take him away from the stress for a while to keep the spark alive.

also, coming from a split family, he has nothing to worry about with a new stepdad coming into the picture. I know it can be pretty intimidating but he just has to keep being the best father he can be.

I wish you two the best of luck and I know you'll figure it out!

What Guys Said 4

• Are you guys having sex? If you're having sex there's not much higher or better than that for a guy. He may have hit the peak in his heart for you. Which is why I advise people to save sex for after marriage, so you know this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. So your relationship increases after the honeymoon, not decreases over time because you two have been sleeping together and there's literally nowhere left to go after a certain period of time.

• Tough one. I would agree with not pushing. Maybe just write him a short message and remind him you are there for him, and let him know you miss him.

• Try telling him you feel rejected but still care for him. What does he reply?

• He's probably just pressured and stressed right now. Don't add to that by trying to get him to open up to you. When he's ready, he will if he's going to. Just be there and be friendly and easy going when he does contact you. Just be patient and give it time and let it happen naturally. He's going to be naturally drawn to you if he has all kinds of pressure everywhere in his life, but none with you. He's going to LOVE it.