Best advice to get over a breakup from a toxic person?

I dated someone for 4 months but I can't seem to forget about him.. it's been 10 months since we stopped talking. He inflicted so much pain on me that by the time we stopped seeing each other my self esteem hit rock bottom. Even if I meet someone nice and sincere I can't seem to open up and I've become very guarded. How do most people get over breakups? Any tips?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• From a relationship coaches perspective, there are a very specific things that people can do to get over a toxic person:

1) Think about what the relationship would be like if you hadn't broken up. How that toxicity would've spread and made the pain for you even worse.

2) Rediscover the "you" that you were before the relationship. Right now, you're stuck in a rut, understandably so, and it's hard for you to remember when you were happy.

3) Meaningful times with friends, family, and hobbies. I saw "meaningful" because it does no good for people to just find things to do.

Most Helpful Girl

• I got tired and annoyed of the pain and feeling pathetic and weak so I got up and went and hooked up with 2 guys. It worked and one of them is now my friends with benefits and I've fallen in love with him.

What Guys Said 2

• Have sex

• I see all these posts about EXes... Why does my ex not like me? This and that about an ex... should we get back together...

An EX means.. in the past. In my life, after any break up, an EX is out of my mind. I move on almost immediately and never think of, try to contact, check up on, etc...

Breakups happen for a reason...

I'm not talking about someone who moved away... I'm talking about relationships that ended due to cheating, abuse, incompatibility and such...

Who CARES about an EX? Who cares about what an EX thinks of them?

Then "breaks"... what's that all about? all this is is an admission you can't commit in a relationship. Taking a vacation from a relationship isn't going to fly.

ALSO... getting back together after a breakup.. or chasing someone to get back together... sorry folks, the same issues are gonna be there.

This "closure" What's that about? No such thing... So what? It's over.. there is your closure.

Move on... where you found one guy/gal, there will always be more.

He's just one in a long line of exes in your life.

What Girls Said 1