Do jobs matter?

when dating or in a relationship, does their job matter? have you decided not to pursue a person because of their job? have you broken up with someone because of their career? what professions and why would put an end to a relationship for you?

1328

Most Helpful Guy

• From a relationship coaches perspective, I will just add that I've had male and female clients that told me that they wouldn't date someone, depending on the job they had. But, it was less about the 'type' of job and more about the age of the person in the job and what they job said about their level of effort and ambition. Women especially can look at a guys job, tie it to a level of effort/ambition and make the leap that the same level of effort/ambition likely carries over to his role as a boyfriend and future husband.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on what you're seeking. If marriage is the goal, then YES. A job does matter. Just like anything else in this world. If you don't work, you don't eat. You want things in life, let alone do things that cost money, then having a job is essential. However, there is a point and time one may not find work so quickly or circumstances prevent's them to. It simply matters what is most important to you and what qualifies them to date you. I would not agree with a job that goes against my moral belief's. But at that point, anything that goes against what you don't believe or can't handle the relationship just needs to cease.

What Guys Said 27

• It's more of do they want more from life or not. If they're comfortable as a simple job like sectarian or retail, then let them.

There are opportunities to move up so it's possible to do so. So to answer the question, not really

• I may not have enough experience to give a really valuable answer to this question, but I can foresee at least geographical problems arising from careers which require a lot of travel, such as working in the military.

But really, so long as they love their work and pursue it with conviction, I don't think I'd mind. If they complained about not liking their job all the time though, might be a bit of an issue for me.

• It does. What matters to me is that she earns enough to take care of herself and be independent, and it also matters that she doesn't travel a lot and/or spends too much time at work, I want us to spend time together, plus, when we have kids, I don't want her to be out of the kids' lives.

• Well of course! It matters to everyone I'd think. You don't want to date a hooker or a lazy bum who doesn't work right? Haha. Other than that no it doesn't matter but what does is her ambition. I don't want to date someone whose ambition is just to be a grocery store clerk all her life and never move up.

• No not really I mean as long as they can provide for themselves or have a job of some kind I don't really care.

I'm certainly not going to start dating someone or breakup with someone just because of their job.

I won't like though sometimes a certain job or career field does peek my interest about the woman in question.

• As long as she's not a stripper, pornstar, model, or liberal journalist, I don't really care what she does.

• For most guys, a women's career path doesn't really matter.

• It matters less *what* they do than how passionate they are doing it. For me, personally, I am attracted to someone who is passionate. I will say, however, that *ambition* is highly attractive, at least to me. So it doesn't matter exactly what the profession is.

• Not at all

• Yes it does, but only to an extent. What matters to me is that it isn't in the adult films industry (not actress, but you know what I mean, the dirty stuff), illegal, or something i feel is immoral. Also, it she has no job or her final goal for a job is a minimum wage and she doesn't strive for better.

• giving you an example.
    if the girl has a cigarettes tobacco company i will not date her because moral values, i could.. if she was trying to redefine the habit and create a product thats not bad for people.

it influences yes.

• I want her to be employed but not as a stripper or prostitute or porno star. Other than that it is not a big deal

• yes it is important.
    becuase if you are serious and wanna marry him or her then it is important.
    many reasons are behind this.
    but the main reason is
    a sucessful person is always the best

• Yeah

• the job doesn't matter so much as their ambition

• ASK YUR MOTHER😕

• Anything other than superstar is pretty boring tbh.

• yeah it matter qite a bit

• I would consider the job but use minimal scrutiny if she was happy.

• no Jobs doesn't matter to me

• Yes it matters. I won't date a girl who has no money. And she better pay for herself. Not on the first date though. She needs to have her own finances.

• Not at all. I am 25 years old and if I start dismissing someone who is perfect for me because she doesn't have a job- than I can miss out on the girl of my dreams who is struggling to get a job. So long as you have goals and intend on moving forward, I don't see a problem.

• Yeah they kinda do, unfortunately I'm stuck at a few minimum wage jobs at the moment, kinda annoys me people say they'll date a richer person, but they forget that those rich people have their own standards as well

• No, makes no difference to me. What does matter is what kind of mother she will be to our children. Her job plays no role in that.

• of course most women only care about how much a guy makes no surprise 🎆

• I feel like the only time this matters is if it's a job that puts a moral on the line. I could care less if you're a CEO or a cashier, but it might peeve me if you're a stripper or whore.

• yes it does.

• for transferring valuable knowledge to the kids when you get married... passive transfer...

What Girls Said 12

• I believe it shouldn't matter unless they are completely jobless and needs the girl or guy to support him or her financially 100%.
    Financial status in our modern society is considered a burden to be carried untill death.
    When someone gets into a relationship it signifies that they share the life together which means they share the burden and give each other support mentally and physically.

• It does only when their "job" is as a freelancer. When they make barely anything. That matters because we have to be able to support our family. Another thing that matters is the type of job. Of course you'd be a little weary of dating a prostitute for example.

I've never rejected anyone because of their job

• Jobs matter a little bit but for me its the person working the job that matters more - for example - the sacrifices and intellect and lifestyle choices involved in maintaining a career is what I'm attracted to - if somebody was very rich but did nothing all day I would not find them attractive.

• No offense to anyone but jobs do matter. I'm not saying that the guy I'm with has to make a six figure digit salary. Not at all. It should be good enough that both he and I can eventually maintain a family. A few years back I dated a 36 year old waiter. I can understand if you're a waiter in your 20s but having no ambition to do anything than stay in that same position was detrimental in my eyes.

In the past four years I've managed to slowly go up the ladder so I understand the struggle but if you stay "stuck" in a job that doesn't pay well when you do have opportunities it shows me your lack of dedication. This lack of dedication might even be reflective of whom you might me in a long term relationship.

• Never mattered. I've dated mechanics to landscapers to stock brokers and waiters. And we never broke up because their jobs

• In a serial relationship, yes, it does matter. The money you bring and, more importantly, the one you're not bringing home, if you work only weekdays or weekends, if you've to socialize after workhours, etc.
    I think that's the main difference between dating as a highschool student or as a grownup with a job and responsibilities.

• My dumb ass read- in a "cereal relationship". I immediately thought of Captain Crunch working a 9-5 job and coming home to his wife... I want cereal now.

• @NoxWriter22
      Oops, *serious
      My bad. You're right, cereals are also important!
      What would Captain Crunch's wife think of his job? Haha.

• She'd probably think it's a good job but it's very rough... because it scrapes the roof of her mouth.

• No as long as they are happy then I'm happy

• Well I'm not gonna date a lazy dead-beat, so yeah jobs matter.

• Yeah it does.

• To an extent. I prefer that he has a job and is not pimp or drug dealer.

• I never thought jobs mattered until I read this question and actually thought about it... I think jobs do matter. They don't have to be making millions or even six digits, but I would much rather date a businessman or accountant than a McDonald's employee. However, their work ethic also plays a huge role in this too. If they work at McDonald's because they can't get hired anywhere else and are trying to pay for school to become something bigger and better than that is great!!! But if they plan on working at a McDonald's or a crappy place because it is "easy" or they're just lazy, that's not okay.

• it does