Would you EVER Date Your Friends Ex-Girlfriend/Boyfriend?

Let's assume:

*Your friend is a good friend
*Your friend and their ex- broke up on good terms
*Your friend and their ex- have been broken up for more than a year
*Your friend is in a good relationship with someone else
*You have really strong feelings for their ex- and vice versa

• Yes
    21%(7)28%(15)Vote42%(8)
  • No
    62%(21)53%(28)Vote37%(7)
  • It Depends
    17%(6)19%(10)Vote21%(4)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd do it even if they hadn't broken up on good terms & far more recently.
    We're all grown people, able to make our own decisions. Who's to say that simply because it didn't work out for them, if won't work out for us?
    If she's such a good friend I'd rather she wanted me to be happy than her being hung up over something that's already over.

• This is exactly where I am too!

• @Renae_85 it's not so wow. We live a pretty narcissistic world now, where a lot of people who are all about their own feelings think the people around them are there to serve those feelings.

They want respect for nothing,

I'm not against dating an ex if no one else gets hurt by it, but to not even consider someone's feelings or give them time to get used to it because it doesn't suit them to... that's just how the self serving are. It's not surprising, even if it should be.

• Thanks for MHO! :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Did the person have strong feelings for the EX the entire time they were with the best friend? I can't imagine they break up and all of a sudden... "I have strong feelings". Just curious... if people are laying in wait getting ready for the strike.. or it just happened!

What Girls Said 12

• No. It just so happens my good friends are attracted to dudes who I'm not attracted to. The situation shouldn't arise at all.

• if i had really strong feelings for the boy and my friend was complely over him. to be honest i can't really imagine this because i've never had good female friends with a strong bond and i only have a few female friends these days.

• yes but I would ask my friend 1st

• No because that's her ex & why would I wanna date someone that's like that.

• Yes and ill ruin their new relationship too 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😈

• If I feel so strongly about the person and I know my friend is totally 100% okay with it, then maybe.

• It depends.
    Honestly though that was never an issue for me since my friends all had far different tastes then my own. I have dated a few guys that my friends had liked to but no one they had ever went out with nor have I ever been attracted to or desire to be with anyone they were.

• No, because it's crossing a friendship boundary.

They'd be too many future complications in the relationship with her ex, and within my friendship. Also, I'd feel I was getting " sloppy seconds" .

• I was gonna say yes if they weren't really a good friend, fake friend or acquaintance/co-worker. I would basically just okay it with my friend, let her know what's going on.. I would be adamant that she doesn't just say, yeah sure go ahead.. I wanna make sure she's comfortable. If she's not then I wouldn't. Also what is their nature of their relationship? Were they were super serious, just puppy love, did he really hurt my friend? All that kinda matters too. If several years have passed, my good friend is very happy now.. their relationship was prepubescent in nature and he's decent and my friend is definitely more than okay with it, yes I would date them and see where it goes. I think chemistry is really important so thats why I'd be willing to bend the girl codes.

So with all of that context applied-yes, otherwise no. I care more about a friend than a fleeting attraction but if there is something more and he's decent, she's okay with it- yeah maybe. There's no guarantee what could happen. If we're at a mature age and its been a really long time, their relationship wasn't serious, nothing that bad happened between them-you said they ended things amicably then yeah, I would see where it goes. I am doubtful it could work out but Id be lying if I said I've never seen it work out with other people.

People stick to familiarity, friend groups- you see tv shows where people end up with someone's ex or within friend groups, friend of a friend or boyfriend's best friend, etc.,.. People say its far fetched but some people just don't want to leave their comfort zone. I often see couples and friends saying how they were pissed when it happened but it worked out for the best. I've seen a guy in a friend group go through most of the girls in the clique and settle with one eventually. I know its odd in the girl code scheme of things but its not exactly a rarity and there isn't some soap drama every time it happens either.

• Not unless we are talking about an acquaintance or something. I don't date my friend's exes. I know all their negatives, I'd be crazy to make such decision.

• My best friend actually tried to set me up with her ex and I flat out said not. I mean, I had to hear all the reasons from her POV why they broke up in the first place, and then 2 years later, suddenly in her mind, it was okay for me to date him even though I had never shown any interest in him at all, and he vice versa. Even if I had been attracted to him, that's weird, like sloppy seconds weird. I wouldn't want to talk about us with her in case she was harboring any resentment or jealousy. Nope, she stayed in her lane and I very much stayed in mine.

• No way would I take my friends sloppy seconds

• You're normally taking someone's sloppy seconds, we all are. What are your thoughts about this reality? I'm just curious.

What Guys Said 10

• Only if I ask him first and he said it was OK. If not then I basically have to choose between my close friends or her, which doesn't look to good for her.

• Only if he approves. Otherwise I'd never go there.

• No. Bro code demands that I regard her as an evil cunt who is the source of all sadness and evil in the world.

• Why shouldn't I? If he has moved on then why should I care? It's been a year. Not a week. He's probably over her.
    Just let love guide you, but if she cheated on him, then I'll consider being with her or just ignoring her.

• Only a disgusting scavenger who prays on slight opportunity would do this. A little worm-like creature.

• Have you seen Friemds?

• I would, and I say that because I have deep feeling for a girl I live with at Uni. In first year of Uni she was "seeing" one of my good friends, however the relationship ended and now im in my 3rd year of uni, i strongly desire her.

• well I'd still ask my friend. because otherwise, you can ruin your friendship with that person, and it always could not work out between you and his/hers ex so I dont think that that kind of risk is a good idea

• From a dating coach perspective... Yea id give her the dick

• Why not? Life is short, you gotta try everything.