How long should a single date last?

Should there be a time limit that a date lasts if it's in the beginning stages, say within the first month?

Is it okay if it runs longer because you are so caught up in each other and what you are doing?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it should be something simple for a first date like going out to eat.

What Girls Said 21

• It depends on how you get around (transit or car), if anyone needs to do something the next day, and what activities you would like to do on your date.

Most early dates are for coffee or to go to a festival or some other event. Where you can meet up there or meet up and go but one of you could stay later if they want.

Other dates are more classic dinner and a movie. But now that has changed to dinner and a movie in someone's home. Dinner could be take out, order in or homemade. Movies could be one someone picks up, something that is going to be on tv anyway (such as a regular tv show) that you can watch together. But some people aren't comfortable with going to their house yet or someone's yet.(hence the coffee somewhere) So then you decide what sort of food you want fast food or more regular restaurant and maybe a movie at a theater.

It's good to ask and actually talk/communicate. Otherwise why have the date at all if you can't talk about things. Also be clear on it being a date or be clear on first having some time just as friends going out and paying your own way. People get more comfortable with that first. At least for a month or a few before asking out to a something. So you know each other socially. Then be clear about what you're going to do, if it's going to be each paying their own way or if someone wants to treat the other. The latter might not feel comfortable unless you have got that social comfort from doing a few coffee outings or hanging out type things first.

I'd leave more expensive dinners, night clubs or sex to farther in the relationship. Until your both sure your comfortable.

• i think there should not be a RULE in how many hours you should spend on a date, because yeah, you are caught up in each other and you don't even look at the time, my first date with my boyfriend lasted 8 hours LOL... trust me, and time FLEW BY we where actually shocked when we looked at the time.. . and even the other dates where very long, and now after 3 years of being together, when we go out for dinner in a restaurant or just hang out in the city on weekends, they still last long

• I don't think there is a specific amount of time it "should" last. It all depends on the individual date and what you are doing. My first date with my boyfriend was a few hours long. We had dinner and mainly just hung out and spent time talking and getting to know each other afterwards. It was great and not awkward at all. So, I think any time frame is acceptable as long as you are both comfortable and having fun. :)

• Yes. A first date should be a week night and an hour or so but longer if it goes well. You just have to keep in contact with the other person's cues.

• Is there a point when the date could be on the weekend where it would go from lunch to dinner?

• That's very polite but slow your roll. A week night HH is best to see if you even get along. I can't speak for every woman but in general I usually don't take a first date on my weekends.

I go to the gym for yoga or a class then a date. The dates often go so amazingly well that I'm down for Saturday or the next. The. second date is the real date. You find out you like each other. By the third date it's on.

It's rare to find someone you want to bone after meeting three times.

Those first two dates feel like magic.

• That is some great insight into dates. I really appreciate it. :)

• I never set any time limit on dates, the only exception would be if I had something important on later, but I'd make my date aware of that beforehand.
    I've spent all day and most of the evening with a guy on one of my dates. When you're having a good time you just don't want it to end! If, however it's not going so well, I'd say give it a couple of hours or so first, just to be sure.
    If it's a disaster text a mate to call you or something to get you out of it haha.

• Did you spend the "day" with the guy on a date that was in the early stages?

• I'd be very tempted haha.
      Especially if he's a good cook 😜

• Good to know.

• No, I don't think so. If you guys are having fun and enjoying each other's presence, there's no need of keeping track of the time.
    But if the date is not going well, then someone should say something so both can leave.
    "Is it okay if it runs longer because you are so caught up in each other and what you are doing?" - Yes, it is. It's actually a good thing and it's a sign that there will be another date.

• Its totally up to the both of you but I like to keep mins prob 2 or 3 hrs tops. Shorter might be better. Its just the first time you are getting to know them. You don't know if you would get a second chance and there is the chance you may not have much to talk about. So shorter works.

• i've read that keeping a date shorter than you want it to be creates a greater interest in having a second date. I've always tried to allow a certain amount of time for a first date mainly to provide an out if its not going well. But i've also, ended up staying WAYY past the time I gave myself because we just lost all track of time talking and enjoying each other.

• anywhere from 2-4 hours with exceptions could be shorter or longer depnding on what you do... you might meet a guy for a coffee and walk and that could be a date... a 4 hour could be a concert and a dinner... with longer being a road trip.

• I've had dates last anywhere from 1 hour to 12 hours. It all depends on if we are enjoying ourselves or if it's awkward and a disaster. Go to eat, watch movies, go for walks, get coffee and talk, get drinks and chat, go shopping, build something together...

• Best to plan for extra time in case you just really get into talking with each other.

• For as long as you can stand eachother. No time limit unless there is a tight schedule for one of you.

• I don't think there's a set time? If you're having fun then keep having fun.

• i dont think it need a specific time just go with flow and if it takes more time then its great it means you get along well (believe me some people go to date and they dont talk for 15 min then they say another date"oh yah yah sure) lol

• I say the date can last as long as your separate schedules let it

• Why does there have to be a time limit? Unless stated due to other commitments like work, kids etc then I don't see why. If you're enjoying each others company then just go with the flow

• I agree with you that there shouldn't be but just wanted to see what the "masses" think about this concept.

• A friend of mine told me she was on a date that lasted from like lunch to dinner and a bit beyond.

• Yeah that's ok, if both are having a good time, go for it 👍🏽😀

• honestly I cannot say I ever kept track of the time (especially if I am enjoying it)

• i no idea

• Kid, it's a date. It's for you guys to get to know each other. Don't think about the time, you'll know the "limit", I'm sure. Just have fun and depending on how it goes, you'll know what do to. Please, do take in mind how is she feeling because sometimes, we are having a great time but it's not the same for the other person. Just notice her body language and if she's speaking a lot or is she checking her phone "all the time" or is she smiling. It's important to understand those signs because not noticing them could be a deal breaker. Have fun, tho! It's your first date with her! :) Good Luck

• there is no limit.

• I don't think there should be a time limit. I remember going on dates and wanted them to end as soon as I got there, but the guy I'm in a relationship with now I could spend days with him.

What Guys Said 21

• Anywhere between half an hour and a whole day ;-).
    I think it's kind of strange that Americans tend to be so obsessed with dates in an official sense. Like, you would say "we're going to have a date now". Why even give it a name. Just go to a café or a restaurant or an amusement park together and it takes as long as it takes. What matters is that both are having fun.

• So for a first date, I typically ask to meet up for a drink. If I find I like her, I recommend we move to the next cool place down the street to grab food. After we've both finished, I only allow us to linger in conversation for another 15 minutes or so before calling it. Generally speaking, its important to leave room for some speculation.

• First dates usually don't last long. They should be short and sweet. They should end on a positive note with hope of getting a second date.

• I don't really set a time limit for how a date last. I just let the date run for what are doing and if we are having it can last a long time especially if we are both interested in each other and I have had a date that lasted all night to day before. It depend if u like spending time with that person.

• 2-3 hours. Any longer and I'd be like, "get the fuck away from me, you're annoying me with your blabber". I can't imagine hanging out with someone for longer

• It all depends on what type of person your date is and what you both are doing because time Flys when you both are having a good time and if you both hit it off in a great way. Just keep it basic on what you both are planning and to me, if your doing the common things like dinner, movies, bars, Club, or other activities that you usually runs about 2hrs or more when your on a date. Communicate and see what you both like to do and go from there.

• I normally settle for 1-3 hours. Beyond that it just depends on how it goes

• It depends on the chemistry between the two and what they're doing (for example going out for coffee, dinner, watch a movie). But I'd say 2 hours

• I think one day is enough if you are going for a safari, or a national park, watching animals and touching her, hands clutched together, it's an awesome experience dude, try it.

• It depends on the couple and the situation. I say, don't stress out too much about. Relax and let the chips fall where they may.

• There are no rules

• Well at least 5 minutes for the lemon law

• If you're both having fun it doesn't have to end... in the beginning I count every 4 hours as a date- so some dates I count as two.

• no set time limit. It depends on how well we click and how the date goes.

• No real time limit. But a good or decent one should be at least 2-3 hours

• I don't really think there should be a time limit... Just see how it progresses naturally.

• Vote for #2 paragraph

• no time limit go with the flow

• There should be a time limit as long as you both enjoying each other's company

• I would say it should last until the girl runs out of money. Then I can ditch her and go hang with the girl I really wanted to spend time with in the first place. :P What? Guys aren't allowed to do that? Only acceptable for girls to act like that? This seems unfair. :(

• I would cut it off BEFORE things start winding down, like almost at the peak of things maybe just after so you both leave on a good note and look forward to seeing each other again. That or it ends after sex.