Why does he keep holding the door open for me on our dates?

I've been dating this guy and when we hang out together we spend 10 hours together almost every date we go on together.
I've noticed that on our dates he always makes an effort to hold open every door for me and always allows me to go first in anything, whether it's ordering anything or walking up the stairs first.

Where does this holding the door come from?

107

Most Helpful Guy

• Being polite, respectful. He's obviously old fashioned, was either raised that way or just believes that's what a guy does for a woman and the way it's "supposed to be". Used to be the way it was way back when. Although rare, it's still around to this day as you see. If it bothers you though, just tell him politely that it's not necessary.

Most Helpful Girl

• That is what you call a gentleman lol. Not every guy you meet is going to hold the door for you.
    Out of respect and curiously, men always let the women walk first, order first, talk first... etc. Take it as a compliment and enjoy it!

What Guys Said 6

• Chivalry, being polite. Enjoy it. It's usually one of the things that fade away.

• He is treating himself as lower than you because societal standards have told him to do so. I see it the same way as you. I think its nonsense.

• It is common courtesy to hold door for a lady or for officials.

• he wanted to be a gentleman many girls likes that

• he is trying to be a gentleman but it is a bit wasted on you

• he's a gentleman:). He just knows whats nice. Keep him this Kind of Men is rare

What Girls Said 9

• He's just being a gentleman and wants to show you what it means to have chivalry. He wants to impress u and treat u with respect.

• He's being respectful and a " gentleman " suppose to hold the door and let the female in first.

• It's a gentleman thing to do

• A gentlemanly behaviour of men to show a woman that they respect her.

• He's just being a gentlemen

• He's being sweet.

• He's trying to be a gentleman. Appreciate it

• OH MY GOODNESS, I can't take this anymore. Seriously? Are you being serious?

• He is being polite...