What Are Your Thoughts About Engagement Rings for Men?

Okay, so a simple question that (I presume) will not have simple responses. Do you think men should be wearing engagement rings to show that they are engaged, taken, etc?

• Yep! If he is engaged, people should know
    36%(25)41%(51)Vote48%(26)
  • Nope! It's a tradition for women. We don't need to go messing with traditions
    20%(14)18%(22)Vote15%(8)
  • Nope! That would just be more money for no good reason
    20%(14)21%(26)Vote22%(12)
  • Nope! Then who would propose to who?
    4%(3)6%(7)Vote7%(4)
  • Yep! Just another reason to buy something nice for someone we love
    20%(14)14%(18)Vote8%(4)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Girl

• If it's something guys want, I'd be happy to make it a new tradition. We've already shaken up traditional gender roles in all kinds of ways, and I don't see any reason to draw the line at engagement rings. Most engagement rings look feminine, and the idea of seeing a diamond solitaire on a guy's finger doesn't necessarily appeal to me, but maybe the rings would be a different style. (Are there already engagement rings designed specifically for men? I don't know these things lol.) Bottom line, it would be nice for the guy to also show that he's engaged, and I have no problem with providing an engagement ring for him if it's something that would make him happy.

• In terms of the financial aspect, I think it's ridiculous and excessive for EITHER gender to wear an engagement ring that costs thousands upon thousands of dollars. In my opinion, $500- $1,000 is plenty to spend on an engagement ring, and you can easily find beautiful rings for those prices. Some people/couples spend upwards of five, ten, or even twenty+ thousand on engagement rings, and personally I think that's completely insane. If you stick to reasonably priced rings, the financial aspect shouldn't be a reason for men not to have a ring as well.

• I agree with you on this.

Most Helpful Guy

• That picture looks so damn awkward to me... I'm more conservative than I thought!

I'm not into women proposing to men.

What Girls Said 32

• i don't think he needs that... it would just end up looking like he's married lol

• Tradition, we really can't say tradition without looking at why things were done the way they were can we?

An engagement ring is 'I promise to marry you', if he breaks off the engagement society will wonder why and if there's something wrong with you (because it's never the guy's fault). Thus, the ring becomes monetary compensation for him destroying your reputation. If he does follow through, technically the ring is his again because women (and their property) were essentially the property of men in those days. And perhaps that's where the idea of having to spend a certain amount on a ring, it wasn't just to represent your affection, it was literally a deposit.

But what about the looking at a woman's hand to know if she's taken or not, isn't that one of the purposes of an engagement ring? In olden days, no. Many people rarely left their places of birth, towns and villages are small, everyone knew everyone, and everyone's business. If there's an engagement, everyone would know. And the nobility, such a small elite circle of people that you belonged to and the only people you could interact with socially. Everything was done to see and be seen, announcements would have been put in the papers, an engagement party probably held, everyone in society would have known. Clearly we no longer see a woman's reputation damaged due to a broken engagement, so the purpose of the ring as a deposit is obsolete.

Now the purpose of the ring as 'she is taken/she belongs to some guy' can be traced back to the Roman era. The Romans gave iron rings (gold ones too if they could afford it and if they were allowed to wear them). Now the previous statement still stands, despite the less expensive ring. The Romans took marriage seriously, they were the first to institute legal requirements for prenups, weddings and divorce. But even then, in most of Rome, women were not equal to men, they could not vote, their property belonged to their husbands, they were their husband's property and the ring symbolized that. This is clearly no longer the case, so do we need a ring to symbolize that?

The purpose of an engagement ring in today's society is a representation of love and promise, it is to shove it in your friends faces, and it is to make sure some random guy at the bar doesn't hit on you (or a guy will discreetly check so he doesn't hit on someone's fiance). In that case, why can't men have engagement rings if that's what it symbolizes today.

• Some cultures neither wears a ring. Sometimes it is a necklace, bracelet or pin that is worn. One place I lived if the two were involved the woman gave the man something to wear. Women would switch wrists a particular bracelet or anklet was worn on. Sometimes they cut their hair specifically or wore it a particular way indicating they were married or involved (this went for both men and women).

While some cultures do present a ring. It later became a mostly men to women thing. But women can propose to (or men in the case of same sex relations). I don't see anything wrong with giving them a ring or other item to signify this. Or if they both give each other something. When I was very young and got engaged we gave each other each an item. It said we were together in our tribal community. One was a pair pin that men or women can wear but the pattern is unique to a family or person. Because of the culture they also had a girlfriend and wore an item of theirs too. Generally the other person and I got along. Though we weren't hanging out or best friends. It was built on trust of the person we both cared for. Eventually they weren't together later but we were. To signify moving to a closer relationship we wore bracelets a certain way. We didn't have marriage as others may of known it though other cultures had brought it to the place we were. We stayed friends and even worked together for many years. But then ended up in other countries with other people.

• You could, especially if you are going to do a double ring wedding where both bride and groom are given a ring by their spouse. She could go ahead and give him his wedding band to wear as she wears her engagement ring. Many times the brides engagement ring goes to the jewlers to silver solder the wedding band onto the engagement ring. At least we did, that was one of the few times I took my engagement ring off for more than a half hour or so. So he could take off his ring on the wedding day and let his bride present it to him as his wedding ring.

• I don't know why it would be an issue. I think if the woman has an engagement ring, the guy should too. Or both partners in cases of samesex unions. Why should one person miss out because of old traditions? Create your own traditions in relationships :)

• I would be happy to buy my husband a band during our engagement. But it won't be super expensive, just like I don't want my ring to be super expensive because it's a chunk of money for tradition more than anything else... and his wouldn't even be a part of the culture...

• I would even go did far as to say that it should be acceptable for the woman to buy him a ring and do the proposal. Just another facet of gender equality to consider.

• Should they? No. Is it ok if they want to do it? Yes. Women are under no obligation to wear promise rings, engagement or wedding rings at all either.

• "B" Best from the Rest that if he is Married Here, dear, Wear the Ring and Thing.
    No Ring on the Finger until he Reaches the Alter, will be a good Test as Well, I can Tell. xx

• I don't see the problem with it but I doubt that my partner would be interested in having a ring for himself.

• Would you feel better if your partner wore one as a sign that he was engaged?

• No, I don't think I'd care. I don't really need to stamp a sign that he's in a relationship on him to feel comfortable :P

• I think they should. In 2016 I had a crush on one of my friends from class and he acted like he was flirting with me - even talked about how much he wanted a wife - it too about 2-3 weeks for e to realize he was engaged. After he realized I was following him around online - he started wearing an engagement ring whenever he saw me but we remained friends throughout the entire semester.

• I'm pretty old school and I'm generally not into the whole 100% gender equality thing, but to each their own. If my man really wanted one, then why the hell not.

• Yep! Just another reason to buy something nice for someone we love and also it would be nice if people know he is already taken

• Lol, like, don't guys hate wearing jewelry?

And besides, guys do almost 99% of the asking, so it isn't like he's going to have to bat away thousands of women who just suddenly decided they had to have him.

• Sure, I don't see why they couldn't be a thing.

• I think the tradition of buying engagement rings is a marketing scam and a waste of resources.

• I don't think it matters. Do what you want

• To be honest I find rings on men to look tacky. So anything more than the wedding ring is extra in my opinion.

• I think that it is sweet! If a couple decides to get married, why can't they both each have a ring?

• to me it's irrelevant. you do you.

• i'm kinda on the fence about this one.
    i voted no, waste of money but now that i think about it, maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

• while a matter of choice, i would not agree to engagement unless both parties accepted physical branding of ownership

• I feel like sure, if they want to. It shouldn't be forced either way.

• seems fair. not sure if guys are into it though

• Do guys really want to wear two rings?

• That's pretty common where I live. Men wear as often as women.

• Where is that if I might ask? I'm curious what cultures do this.

• Brazil. My parents, my grandparents and pretty much every engaged couple I know wear them (actually one guy I know doesn't wear his because he's allergic to metals, but he has one).

• I meant that my parents/grandparents have worn them. They're married now hahahah

• Beep boop bop

• Same thing I think for women, not necessary.

• NO.. Just NO

• I would do it... if I don't want to lose him

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 44

• if a man wants an engagement ring i guess that's on him. i don't want one. wouldn't want one bought or given to me. obviously it's sexist to sort of presume that engagement rings are for women alone but they aren't something i'd want to wear

• I dont see the problem with that... let it be 3 months salary as well lol... that would show em to create standards on someone else's pocket. Oh and also feel the pain of rejection when you go through all that trouble to hear "im not ready" or even better, have something throw at em when its off... etc lol
    Im down, i would totally rock an engagement ring, because i would only accept it from a woman that can't be challenged anyways... but it'd be nice to shoot down a few before that :)
    I really think that that sense of entitlement may interfere again where if its the girl, guy should automatically say yes... or or... those rings will sell like hotcakes because girls won't wait for the guys no more lol... it'd be funny as hell...
    We should go public with this lol.
    Yea yea yea, im evil, im prejudiced, im bitter, blah blah... there you go, now no need to say it lol... call it or me what you want, i just love dosing people with their own medicine. or watching em crash n burn 😈😈😊

• I wouldn't want to wear a wedding ring, let alone an engagement ring. I don't want to wear any jewelry at all. I even tear the bands off new watches and stick the watch in my pocket.

On top of that it's just throwing away money that could be used on much better things. Same with the wedding ring itself.

• I know a couple that have matching gender neutral engagement rings while they wait to try and save up enough money for a wedding.

that being said, my girlfriend and I are super old fashioned and I feel like I'd want to wait to earn my ring after I say "I do" to the most beautiful girl in the world.

• I had a nice little ring that I inherited from some girl. Going forward, whenever I was in a relationship, I'd wear the ring as if I was married to show my commitment to my girlfriend. One of the hardest things that I ever had to do was take that ring off after being dumped.

• will women ever propose to men with a sparkling diamond engagement ring and a master plan?

• Why not sounds like fun to me and also it make proposing more gender neutral which I don't mind either

• If she asked me to wear one, I would, just for her.

• I like jewelery and showing I am happily taken, so I have an engagement ring. It wasn't a topic that needed much discussion. Do what works for you XD

• Nah, men should propose to women and the woman is the one with the ring. The picture made me laugh a lot! :D

• As a engineering student, I do not prefer wearing moulded metals and stones on my body. It's okay if my better half likes to wear them. No objection.

• honestly I don't really care either way. all engagement rings are is an excuse to give more money to the jewelry industry. how many of those rings are buried in caskets, or any other such thing now. it's just like debeers and their diamond ploy to make people overvalue diamonds and pay them thousands of dollars for a pebble.

• That picture looks so gay lol

• Should? No...
    However they should definitely be allowed. If my girlfriend ever got me the ring for engagement it would be hysterical... A sort of a dare to keep it on.

I see no reason why guys shouldn't be allowed to.

• I'm not a big fan of engagement rings at all. Waste of money that should be either invested in the market or used to buy a home.

• More cheap crap the jeweller can charge a fortune for. Seriously the whole affair is too expensive and far too many women worry more about the price of the ring rather than the man they are marrying.

• It is an impractical idea, because a lot of men are involved in occupations that prevent rings being worn, because they are a safety hazard.
    In my case, I cannot wear any sort of ring. Within a day ulcers begin to form underneath the ring.

• I don't care either way what others do. But for me I will never get engaged or married so it's no engagement ring for me.

• I like the idea of engagement rings for men. Especially in gay relationship. You know, there is a proposal, but no ring. It seems like we should have some options too if we want them.

• Sure. I think couples should do what they want, if a guy wants to wear an engagement ring then thats fine, its their relationship
    I don't think men SHOULD wear them though, only if they want

• it depends on who proposes i suppose. i mean if he did then the ring bearer would be out of a job lol. I kinda like the idea of the woman giving the ring to the man on the wedding day it seems nice. If the girl proposed, then i suppose it makes sense that the man wears the ring. But honestly, i dont think men want women to propose to them. most guys want to do the proposing, i mean, its kind of an honour.

• Because of what it symbolises, I think that if one has a ring, both (or more) partners should have rings. It's symbolic of the love between them.

• Why? Wouldn't that mean the woman proposed to him? And if he did the proposing, does he buy himself a ring as well? Besides, don't get married, guys. Just... just don't.

• Wedding ring yes. Engagement ring? They're for women.

• If he wants to, sure.
    I'm more with tradition. The woman always wears her beautiful ring and the guy doesn't.

• Well I would say depends on the man. If he wants to it he is free to have it else they r free to not wear it. I hv a friend who just got engaged, he did nt take the ring instead instead he received a watch from his fiance.

• I thought it was already like that? I guess you learn something new every day.

• I'm not wearing a ring until I'm married.

• nice n sexy <3

• More from Guys
    14