Do guys feel intimidated/inadequate if their ladies make more?

It had never crossed my mind that how much a person makes would be an issue to anyone in a relationship, until I came across a question posted by a female of lesser socio-economic status than her male counterpart.

Now I am a bit curious if it makes men feel inadequate/intimidated if their ladies have substantially larger salaries than them. If so, why?

16

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah. I could probably get over it but yeah.

Why? Because I absorbed the message that my ability to provide was an important part of my value as a man. Not the only thing. But a significant one.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• A fair portion of them do. The more a woman makes than her male partner is to cheat or leave her even when the woman "compensates" by taking on more household chores. www.npr.org/.../what-happens-when-wives-earn-more-than-husbands

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • "CHALABI: But the findings are pretty depressing. So the author found that a man is more likely to cheat on his partner if he is more financially dependent on her. And men who are completely dependent on their girlfriends or wives are five times more likely to cheat than men who earn the same amount as their partners. And the explanation given here was basically the same as the housework thing. So it's basically about kind of men feeling like they need to conform to society's definitions of masculinity."

Thanks for sharing the link. I found the finding above to be depressing.

• It is depressing but one day it will hopefully be better.