Is it a date or is he just being friendly?

So.. I met that guy today. We've been acquaintances before. He studies to be an art therapist and spends his free time with backpacking and hiking.
We talked about ourselves and our hobbies. He wants to go hiking when It gets warmer, he said he plans to go alone and then asked "Wanna come with me on a hiking or on a picnic?". I said I'm not sure, cause I don't know him well enough and he said that we have enough time to get to know each other and he hopes that I will change my decision till the day of a trip.
But I am confused is it a date or is he just being friendly?

Thanks for your opinions.
He asked me out again and said something like that "... our first date...", so I got an answer.

Most Helpful Guy

• sounds like a date to me

Most Helpful Girl

• At this point, I'd say he's just being friendly, but it could very well turn into a date as he said he'd like for you two to get to know each other more.

What Guys Said 5

• I think he wants to get to know you and this is his way of getting to be alone with you for an extended period of time. Kinda romantic right?

Do you know anyone who knows him?

• We have 6 mutual friends on Facebook but I am not that close to them. He's texting me right now, updating me about things he does in the hospital where he works as an intern xD I have no idea why, we are not even that close yet

• the dude sounds like he really wants to skip the beginning parts and just be friends, or start dating.

I would go hiking with him, but then again, I like when stuff goes wrong and I meet weird people lol. Which is kinda what I'd be expecting. If you got nothing better to do, go with him. What have you got to lose?

• Sounds like a date.
    I say go for it. To me he comes off crazy as fuck so i would not do it. But you should totally get a taste of being woo'd by a crazy person.

• Lol why do you think he's crazy, he's just being straightforward.. By the way he's quite open-minded, more than any other Georgians who asked me out before.

• Awwwwe so happy for you <3
    It's a bit "testing the waters"

• what do you want it to be?

• Just sounds friendly to me but it could end up being a date

What Girls Said 5

• I'd say that he is expressing more than friendly interest. Because of that id lean little more toward date, but it has an element of "getting to know you" to it.

• It's tough to say, I think it could be a date. Seeing as he said you both have time to get to know each other it looks good. See how it goes from here on in.

• He wants to get to know you better on this first date hiking.

• I don't think someone will rush things this much. He's just being friendly.

• I think this is a date, everyone who says he's being friendly is inexperienced.