I'm 17 he's 23?

I live in North Carolina, I looked it up it said I was the legal age of consent. My parents made us break up because of the age gap and are threatening to press charges on him. I just don't know what to do, we've known each other for almost a year and I love him so much. I don't want to get him in any trouble. Someone please help me find a way around this? He means a lot to me and we've waited for each other for so long. Can my parents really press charges on him? We haven't had sex or anything like that. Is it possible that we could be together without waiting another year? Please someone help?

17

Most Helpful Guy

• I haven't been in the exact same situation, but I understand somewhat how you feel, people will say that he took advantage of you regardless of how the situation actually was, I never had that problem with my family directly, but online I was told that time after time qjen asking about a situation I had. I had a sexual experience with a girl older than me (I was 14 back then, she was 20) and years later when asking online about the matter they wanted to convince me it was rape, for me it wasn't, I was the one who was askimg for it quite directly, I convinced her, not backwards, yet they didn't seem to get it.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, your parents cannot press charges on him, especially if you didn't have sex. But it's probably a good idea to just stay friends to avoid any more conflict.

What Guys Said 6

• I was in a relationship similar to yours, I was 21, she was 16. We were together for 3 years in long distance before I finally got to see her when she was 19. She broke up with me a couple of months later. She said she loved me too, very much. He can wait if he really loves you, you are almost 18. Just remember that you are still growing and figuring out what to do with your life. What you feel and think now, will change dramatically for the next couple of years. Also no they can't do anything if you haven't done anything sexually.

• No they can't press charges. Most parents just like for their kids to date people close to their age so not to be taken advantage of the fast and slick talking older men. My wife and I are 5 years apart and it worked out well. She was 19 when we first started going out.

• wait a year

• Ide wait to protect him. But yeah it certainly go a bad route if he is charged. Even if you didn't do anything the system might attempt to prove otherwise.

• If you are over the age of consent, there is nothing they can do. Still, wait it out until you are an adult so they can't tell you who not to date once you are an adult.

• No they can't press charges. He hasn't done anything

• And I think that gap is fine. People make such a big deal over nothing

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!