Should I tell the guy I've been seeing that his best friend hit on me?

I have been seeing someone for about 2 months and last week I met his best friend and we all hung out for a couple of hours. Today, I received a message from his friend through social media saying he finds it unfair that the guy I've been seeing gets to take me out and not him. I responded that the comment was inappropriate, but should I tell the guy I'm seeing?

The two of them are extremely close and are roommates. My worry is that the guy I'm seeing put his friend up to this to test me - I can't imagine the guy I'm seeing doing that but at the same time the two of them are so close that it seems unlikely that his friend would hit on me like that.

What should I do?

1310

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you should absolutely tell the guy that you are seeing--and not because he may have put his friend up to this. No, there are three other reasons why you should tell him:

1) Honesty is always the best policy and not telling him is as good as lying to him.
    2) Your boyfriend deserves to know what kind of friend he REALLY has.
    3) It will weigh on you and affect your relationship if you don't.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes! If you care about this guy you've been seeing at all for 2 months, you should speak up about this. There is a fine line between friendship and when that person uses that friendship to engage in inappropriate conversations with the prospects of sex or romance to another that is taken. However, if you feel like your being tested by this new guy, then you need to come to terms if this is the kind of relationship you want to have: feeling like you are stepping over eggshells. Your gut feeling may be correct about this being a test. But you don't have to put up with it if this is not something you want to risk. Either way, as another user have said, screenshot the conversation if you must. If it appears like you are being tested, don't hesitate to walk out.

What Guys Said 9

• Do nothing if it doesn't happen again. Ignore the comment and don't feel uncomfortable when the guy is around. If it happens again, tell your boyfriend because this guy is not the friend he thinks he is and you don't have to take it. It's very rude and shows no class.

• Fuck yeah. I would not be friends with them anymore. But if I were you I'd save the evidence too, because I wouldn't know who to trust.

• It is not inappropriate really.

If you don't want to take him up on his suggestion, then politely say that you are flattered, but taken.

• Well even if it's a test..

The result of the test should be you dismissing that guy and telling your boyfriend about it... There hire you pass the test...
    And yes tell him about it...

• Yes, tell him. It's not cool of the friend to do that.
    When you're telling your boyfriend, try and judge if he's set it up as a test or not. If you think he has, then that's really poor behaviour from him

• i´d give this friend of his a fair warning. if he does it again, tell the guy you´re seeing.

• If you really like him and want it to work then tell him.

• straight up punch this nigga

• " He comments on his age a lot when we're talking."

You outthought me there, I'll admit.

It's 50-50 between this, and the guy actually backstabbing his close friend.

If they didn't plot the thing and you tell it, there'll be an explosion between the two (not very nice).
    I'd keep it for myself, but strongly ask the guy to quit it.

What Girls Said 12

• This should not even be a question.
    Don't hesitate. Screenshot the whole thing including your response and show your boyfriend.
    Close or not, test or not, your boyfriend needs to understand that your loyalty is with him and not with his creepy BFF.
    If this ia test you will pass with filying colours.

• I feel like the guy your seeing is testing you, him and his bestfriend are close and on top of it. They are roomates, i doubt his bestfriend would do that... they're probably teamed up and testing you. Don't fall their tricks and stay on your word. Dont even message his friend too much, you dating him, not his bestfriend so you have no reason to talk to him. Just ignore him.

• I think you should tell your boyfriend. You should sit him down and say your friend has been hitting on me. And if he reacts in a negative then he wasn't the one for you. And his and his crusty friend can stay together lol

• honesty best in this case, especially since you turned down his friend. sooner or later he will find out his friend likes you. my guess is your current boyfriend is testing your loyalty or whether they would be able to share you.

• what is with the picture? lmao anyway that really isn't inappropriate at all. He was just joking and probably meant that now that his friend is with you, him and your boyfriend don't get to hang out as often.

• Honestly, I think he's testing you for his best friend.

• Omg and what did his friend say after you said that😮

• Nah dnt tell him. Just tell his friend that ur seeing his friend, u really like him.
    That's it. Dnt tell the guy ur dating about it.

• I would mention not make big deal but let him know

• If it happened to me I would keep it to myself but I would distance myself from his friend.

• I think you should tell him, because as you already said it's really inappropriate. If you care about the guy you're seeing you should let him know that his friend and roommate is not who he pretends to be. Good Luck!

• I'd say tell him. Remind him nothing happened and you didn't do anything. But say you found it inappropriate