The fear of looking foolish consumes me, what should I do?

I'm a single guy (college graduate) living and working in a college town - never had a girlfriend.

There are quite a few times where I spot a cute girl that I'd like to talk to, and judging from her reaction, she might not be opposed to me talking to her.

Ironically, I am not that worried about what the girl's reaction will be if I go talk to her. In fact, if we were the only 2 people in the room, I will talk to her. But I am very concerned about OTHER people's reaction, and concerned about looking foolish in front of OTHER people because we are in a public setting.

It creates an invisible barrier that I cannot cross, and I cannot compel myself to go talk to her. It's kind of like telling someone with Vertigo to jump out of an airplane with a parachute - there is no way he can do it on his own. I am not sure why I am this way, perhaps because the problem goes back all the way to my high school days, 10 years ago. Because I was kind of ugly with pimples / braces, and didn't have much friends.

So how do I get over this impenetrable fear of looking foolish in front of others? This seems like too small of a problem go to see a psychologist, and I don't want to be one of those people who needs "mental help" lol. What can I do to overcome this impenetrable fear?

11

What Girls Said 1

• You can't get over that fear unless you try to put constant pressure on yourself to step out of your comfort zone. There is no other way to get over that fear.

What Guys Said 1

• Just prepare for a rejection; mentally prepare and prepare physically about how you will handle the rejection. Once you are okay, then go and talk to her because you are already at a no. You can only go up.