Prom is approaching, what should I do?

So it's my senior prom and I'm the only one of my friends that doesn't have a date. I go to an all girls school so it's up to me to ask a guy out. I've been there for 6 years so the supply of guys has been fairly low, and I feel weird taking any of my guy friends. There is this guy that I met 6 months ago on a flight home and we talk regularly. He lives an hour away so we mostly Skype but once in a while we'll catch a movie. I want to ask him, especially because he didn't go to his prom, but he's 22. (I'm 17). Should I ask him or should i just take the hit and go alone?

1214

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, do it. I know how it works, I went to an all boys school, and at my school, you couldn't even buy single tickets, only couple tickets, so there was lots of scrambling to get dates.

There's nothing odd about being set up. There's nothing odd about asking a friend. And there's nothing odd about asking this guy. But of all three, you might as well ask the guy you kind of like if that's the last guy. People understand that being asked to things like this is sort of a date but not exactly because it's kind of like you need a date.

Anyway go for it. And have fun.

What Guys Said 13

• if you think you'd have a better time inviting him (either as a friend or a serious date) then I would totally do that!
    Age is a number and the only opinion that matters here is yours.

a girl in my class brought a guy in his late 20's and he ended up being super cool and everyone liked him :)

there's also no problem going to prom alone. A girl from my class went alone and so I walked her down the aisle (with my girls permission) and offered to dance half way through the night but she politely declined and said she wasn't the dancing type. she still had an amazing time though!

No matter what don't miss your prom or you might regret it!
    Have fun :)

• Ask him what he would think about going to it with you.

Any weird looks you'll get at the beginning will not last long as people will start paying attention to other things.

• You should ask him because you should always ask for what you want. Don't be too disappointed if he says no, he's pretty old for a high school prom.

Why don't you want to take any of your guy friends?

• Absolutely ask him! I bet he accepts and will be happy to go.

• don't worry just ask him out if he says no then no problem & I think you should go because at my prom 2 girls ask me to join them but I rejected now i'm feeling very bad & i think you don't wanna feel same so go & have some fun

• Definitely don't ask a 22 year old

• It is said it is a night to remember but I don't remember much. One of the gimmicks that lure you to pay money in similar fashion as Valentine's Day.

• You'll regret going alone when you see your friends with their dates. Just ask him. Worst case scenario: He'll say no.

• Lol just ask him if he says no then just go by yourself don't let him ruin your prom

• Don't go. Prom is just a waste of time.

• ask him

• Can I just say prom isn't everything, people say that prom is there best night of your Life, in reality it's just another party. Anyway back to you do what YOU think is best and ignore everyone else on here ok

• supply of guys? lol πŸ˜‚

• Yeah oops lol I realized that was awkward as soon as I posted itπŸ˜‚

• its fine dear. I'd say you go by yourself to the prom

What Girls Said 12

• It depends if your school would allow that. Also, I went alone and I loved it! hanging out with friends and doing bad all by myself. I could careless about going with somebody.. you don't always need someone to have fun girl.

• 22 is a bit much, honestly. There's nothing wrong with going alone in my opinion. Also, your date to prom need not be romantic in nature. Give the idea with going to prom with a friend some more consideration.
    I had the same thing on my mind back in January, to be honest (before I started dating my current boyfriend) and I asked out one of my girl-friends. The important part is having fun, ya know?
    Good luck <3

• No shame in going alone! You have your friends, at the least. I went alone, got some food and went home. It was a blast. Not all it's chalked to to be, tbh.

• I don't know how it work in America but in France big majority of people just go with their group of friends.

• If you want to ask him... ask. If you want to go by yourself... then do it. I went to my Junior prom by myself... and there was a guy I knew wanted to go with me. I turned him down because I wanted to go by myself. The next year we ended up dating (he had graduated). I went to my Senior prom with him. It just depends on what you want to do.

• Yes ask him

• I honestly feel that it's a little weird to take a 22 year old to prom. But that's my personal opinion. Keep in mind that your friends will most likely bring dates that are the same age as them. If I were you, I'd feel much less weirder asking one of my guy friends. I know what you're going through lol, I'm on the quest of finding myself a date too! Just don't do anything that you'll regret. You can have fun with your friends even without a date:) Good luck.

• Yh go for it, but be ready if he says no so you don't get disappointed

• Ask. If you don't either way you'll go alone so just ask.

• I regret not going to my prom. Ask him but it's okay if he says no, at least you tried.

• No seriously don't go with him you'll run into a lot of trouble

• or dont go.

prom was the biggest waste of money.

to be fair tho i might just be bitter because my boyfriend at the time couldnt go because his parents said no [he was an underclassmen] and I ended up going with my cousin.

but it was just like any other school dance.