When you like a guy but unsure of dating him?

I'm 18 NOT 35. I have been talking to this guy for the past three months. At first, I was kind of iffy about him, but as time goes, I'm beginning to see how he treats me and makes me happy. I never had a boyfriend before so I don't know what to expect. He's been in relationships. We hung out yesterday for six hours yesterday and I saw how he makes me laugh, understands my situation, and we share the same values. The only problem is that I know my mom is not going to accept. He's 23 and in grad school while I'm 18 and in college. He has a stable job. My mom wants me to date someone with a small family (he comes from a family of six) and with the same profession (he's doing criminology while I'm doing medical). When I told him, I could tell it really hurt him and I didn't want to.

So we talked on the phone today for three hours and he said how I shouldn't worry what my mom thinks. I know I shouldn't, but what if my mom disowns me? What if she never accepts? So I told him I wanted to just be friends for now and not think about the dating aspect because of the stress. Was this okay? I'm just worried things won't be the same. Cause we text and talk on the phone almost everyday. He's also proved to me that he's not talking to any other girls. I don't want to lose him..

12

What Guys Said 2

• You should probably know that there is no such thing as a guy who is friends with a girl.
    guys will only hang out with women who they could be or are interested in. If a guy is friends with a girl he's not attracted to then he will not have motivation to be friends and that will be that. Even if they never act on it they want to or would in the right circumstance.
    Cousins and friends girlsfriends/wives is the exception
    Now that you know this remember the friendship isn't that real anyway.

• out of the personal experience I would suggest u to dumb the boy if you seriously love your mom , don't even try to carry it on and leaving it that u will see it later... cos as the end u will end up screwing situation... so it's better involve if u have guts to take a stand or else just walk away...

What Girls Said 1

• If you guys are meant to be then you'll find your way to dating, but for now maybe just focus on yourself career wise while maintaining a really good friendship with him so when and if the time comes for you two to date it'll just flow :)

• Yeah that's what I told him. Like I want to be friends and not think about the dating. Like how I don't want to lose him. He said okay. Maybe as time goes on, my mom might accept? So that why I can also see if his character is consistent.