What can I do to ease my fears of dating single mothers?

I just turned thirty a few months ago, and trying to stay in my own age range has left me with a bit of a stark realization - the number of women (my age) without children has been rapidly decreasing in the last 5 years. My problem is, I have a fear of single mothers, and more specifically, the false charges that could ensue should a relationship not end in her favor - it's quite easy to say I did something to her children. It also doesn't help that I have a friend doing over eight years behind bars because of false charges. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

17

Most Helpful Guy

• Not all women are like that, but you are right to be cautious of anyone, parent or not. I think the best way is to always take your time and don't get too deep too quickly. You really need to get to know them very well before it becomes too serious or physical. That way you can weed out the crazies.

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 6

• Very normal (and unfortunately very "real" fears) I think all of us guys have. I don't date single mothers for many reasons, this among them. They aren't "off limits" but I'd have to think very seriously about whether I would or not, and I'd also have to like her a lot and have no doubts about that.

• There are so many women your age and slightly younger with no kids.

If there's a positive, though, it's that, unless she's trashy, she's much more likely to get an abortion in the case of an accidental pregnancy than a woman your age who doesn't already have kids, as many childless women your age panic.

• Don't date single moms. You also have to worry about when her kids see you as the father figure, you could end up paying child support. Learn from your friend. If you play with snakes, you will get bit.

• Its hard to date single mothers, i am in the same situation as you, and I've been single for 4yrs now, dating single mothers seems a little complicated. I am a single father myself so there's a lot of things that come into play.

• Stay away from single mothers at ALL cost. They are single moms for a reason.

• It's an healthful, safety-increasing "fear": keep it with you.