Would you date someone who has the same name as your parents?

• yes
  • no

2251

Most Helpful Guy

• It would be pretty odd if she had my dad's name. You see, my dad's name is "Robert". There's a feminine version of that name. "Roberta". Also, I have the same name as my dad. (I'm the third with him being Jr. of his dad.) If me and my girlfriend were named Robert and Roberta, it'd feel silly. lol

What would be extremely weird if we both went by the exact same name! The names Robert and Roberta are both known for sometimes haing the nickname "Robbie", which is what I call myself. Both of us calling ourselves Robbie? lmao That'd be insane! I/We would might have to give up my,(and probably her), lifelong nickname!

Still, the awkwardness wouldn't make me dump her. That'd be stupid. Maybe selfish, too. It would just take some getting used to. (Plus my dad going by "Rob" would help if she went by Roberta, being a bit less similar to it. Another thing that helps is that I only call my dad "dad". lol)

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, it's not like I call my rents by their names. They're "mom" and "dad."

What Guys Said 50

• I would except I might refer to her as her name and my parents as the least formal dad or mom. Just not think to hard over the names. Although its bound to become a bad joke LMAO.

• I would have no problem with it. Their names really don't mean anything that should be any kind of issue.

• It would be too awkward and weird. So probably not.

• I said yes because the name doesn't really matter, it depends on what type of person they're. At the end of the day it's just a name in my opinion.

• Wouldn't let a name put me off the right person.

• I would, but I'd use a nickname or pet name or something along those lines just to differentiate from my parents

• It's just a name, having the name we have ain't our fault. Of course I would, she'd have the same name but she obviously wound't be my mother.

• sure i would.

• as long as they aren't a direct relative, why not? the not having relations within a family thing has been scientifically proven to only extend to the first cousin or so as far as having any genetic issues, so someone who is not related but has the same name should be no issue.

• My moms name is pretty uncommon for girls in my age range, it was more common back when she was born. I think I've only ever met 2. I don't think I'd date a girl that had that name though because of the fact its rather uncommon, it would just seem too weird. If my mom had a more common name I don't think I'd have as much of a problem dating a girl with the same name.

• I once did. No problems there.

• it´s a little awkward but if i like her, i´ll take her.

• I don't think it would be that weird. Maybe at first

• Sure, why not. My mom's name is rather uncommon but gaining in popularity again it seems, according to online statistics, anyway (and really nobody around here named their child like my dad's name these days).
    Also, I wouldn't mind being reminded of my mom at all, so..

• I've thought about that before that would be too much I don't think so

• Awkward 😅... Don't know maybe

• Nope.

• Umm that's a hard one. I'll probably not. But if she's really good to keep, I'll use the middle name or a nick name for her.

• Yes that would be a hard one to do, but if i found a girl i guess i would have to give it a shot , hey what do i got to lose?

• Nope. It'd be too weird. Hell, all 3 of my brothers have names that can be girls names too and I'd feel weird if they had the same name as any of my brothers.

• A person's name is not relevant to their date-worthiness.

• I wouldn't care

• Anna is a beautiful name so why not.

• Depends on how common the name is I suppose, might be weird but its just a name.

• I don't have the best relationship with my mom, so a girl having the same name as her would kinda turn me off.

• Yeah, why is that a factor to consider?

• The chance to find a girl with the same name as my mom is really small because it's an old fashioned name

• I did date someone who had the same name as my mother yes.

• Why not?

• A Name is just a name.

• More from Guys
    20

What Girls Said 21

• Yes. Why would a name hold me back from dating someone I am into?

• no that's weird and creepy

• No haha awkward.

• I don't see myself with someone who has the same name as my dad, don't know why 😂

• I honestly can't say. It would feel weird, for sure, but I might be able to get used to it.

• Ehh nahh I wouldn't but my parents have very old fashion names so I don't think someone is still walking around with my dads name hahaha

• Nope.
    My boyfriend has the same name as my brother. That wouldn't weird me out lol

• Yes** haha
      thought the question said 'would you reject someone…"

• That's weird... but I guess I would if he were really something. I'd make up some nickname for him.

• No, I wouldn't. I would think of my parent so it ll be awkward.

• Never... lol

• yes I don't mind really. won't be screaming his name when we have sex though 😂😂😂

• I don't think there are a lot of people my age around with their names. They're rather frumpy, lol.

• no i wouldn't

• I've never met anyone I was interested in with the same name as my parents.

• Most people my age with my dad's name are girls, so no

• I don't think it would be weird, what are the chances that that will happen though.

• Though, both of may parents have suitably rare last names, so anyone with that name is likely to be related in some way. My best friend has my Dad's first name and I have dated one also (at least one). I also dated a couple with my brother's first name.

• yes i don't mind it

• Sure. lol that's not a problem

• yeah it is okay

• No, because I don't have positive thoughts about my father, he abandoned us, and I always remember my mom screaming his name to stop whenever he was violent, I could never do this.
    But hey I think it depends on the relationship.