Should I tell my girlfriend I don't care for her new choker necklaces?

My girlfriend has never worn a choker necklace since we have been dating for 10 months. The other day she went shopping with a friend of hers and bought a couple choker necklaces. We were going out to dinner that night and when I got home it was the first thing I noticed on her. I couldn't get my mind off of it either. It was a thin black leather strap with silver studs in it.

I know now there are some old stereotypes/symbols with chokers such as prostitution or being the submissive in a relationship, but these don't bother me. It's just how the choker appears to me and what I've seen in my experiences. They look very emo/gothic or very provocative to me and I am a very conservative person when it comes to style and looks.

I know im treading in hot water when thinking about partially criticizing someone's style, but should I tell her that I really don't care for them or just let it go? They really bother me though.

52

Most Helpful Girl

• If you've just gotten through a stage where your criticisms were too much - let it go. Learn to pick your battles with what does and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
    There is a HUGE difference between constructive criticism and being overbearing and judgmental, learning the difference is important in a relationship

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't trip! It's just a necklace!

What Girls Said 4

• Well I see you dilemma.. I guess it all depends on how she she takes constructive criticism? I would only hope that if I wore something my boyfriend didn't like he would tell me but I'm the type who can handle constructive criticism or you can play it out and hope it's just a faze and she will eventually stop wearing it. But yes tread lightly girls are emotional and she could take it the wrong way lol but you no her better than we do:)

• She knows how conservative I am. We just got through a tough 3 months phase in our relationship due to me giving maybe a little too much constructive criticism. Things like her language, how provocative she used to dress, never getting tattoos, lip injections etc. I'm a very picky guy and it's something I'm working on myself, so I'm thinking I should just let this little thing slide. She's come so far.

• I agree, you should let this go. more than likely the chocker is just a phase and she will eventually stop wearing it.

• its just an accessory no biggie

• My boyfriend for some really weird reason doesn't like me wearing it either but i wear it anyways think it looks nice. He feels like its a symbol that im out on the pull or something lool craziest thing he's said in our whole relationship

• Like I said I know they have no symbolic meaning anymore. He and I I'm guessing are probably in the same boat in that it just looks a little provocative and the perv guys that are out there think it means a girl is a freak. I don't know.

• Maybe it's just the style that I'm having a problem with I don't know. The one that my girlfriend got is black leather with silver round studs and it just looks so dark, gothic and provocative to me.

• Yeah, maybe just let her know how you feel about it

• It's only a necklace she won't wear them all the time lol I think they look nice.. people answer my question plzzzz

What Guys Said 1

• Give her you opinion just Dont be rude.