Where did you meet your significant other?

Where/how did you meet your special someone? Seems like everyone my age is meeting people online which I think is both a good/bad thing. Bad bc some people are losing the skill of talking to new people but also good for those who may be too shy to put themselves out there or have less opportunities.

• Online
  • College
  • Work
    Vote C
  • Blind date
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E
Select a gender to cast your vote:

1819

Most Helpful Guy

• She was originally like a friend of a friend of a friend. I was socializing aggressively and networking out and trying to meet everyone's friends and their friends and merging them all into one giant friend group.

I ended up meeting her and originally she wasn't one of my closer friends. We did talk from time to time though when she hung out with the rest of us.

One day there was a Hanami party. It's considered a flower viewing party but mostly an excuse for friends to drink and socialize.

jpninfo.com/.../sakura-early.png

After that our big group went to a restaurant and then a night club. Everyone started leaving around midnight.

That left only me and her there and so we got close, danced, and we ended up going on a date afterwards. After the dating process, we started living together. After living together, we got married.

• She was unusual since I usually didn't date people in my friend group. I actually had a rule to try not to do that because if we dated and things didn't work out, it would be really awkward since we're part of the same group and I'm somewhat at the head of it. I didn't want a rift forming among the group if we parted ways, especially if there were bitter feelings there.

Yet I made an exception for her since we had such a wonderful dynamic at the Hanami party and afterwards, and I loved dancing with her that night and we kissed a bit (just affectionately, not passionately).

On the date though, it was so awkward. Since I was used to dating acquaintances, not friends among my group, I wasn't used to dating a girl with whom I had known for quite a while. Our conversation was friendly like old friends, not like two people getting to know each other, and I couldn't make any physical moves. I was really frustrated at myself.

• So on the way back home after dinner, we headed to the elevator and I just thought it was one of the worst dates I ever had, and all because I couldn't step things up.

I ended up, in a moment of frustration, jamming the emergency stop button in the elevator. The elevator stopped and I grabbed her and pulled her for a kiss, passionate this time, not affectionate. That worked out and then the elevator resumed and we went to the top floor, still kissing, while I jammed the bottom floor and closed the door. Then we went to bottom floor, and back to the top floor, and so on until people got into the elevator and caught us kissing on the bottom floor.

After that we scurried away back to my apartment and things got heated very quickly. We had this intense connection there once things heated up, and the subsequent dates were much better.

• As a final twist, I was in a state where I had given up on falling in love ever again. I had a fiance a while back before that and we broke off the engagement, leaving me somewhat devastated. I tried dating girls for a good while after but felt absolutely nothing, and I thought I would never feel that way again.

As a result I just gave up on love and romance and dating and just focused on making as many friends as possible, having a good time.

She made me feel that way again when I least expected it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I met my husband at an airport gate when our flight was cancelled. He was tired, hungry, stressed... and pissed off. At our first eye contact, his eyes were on fire.
    That's what got me. THAT.
    He had the thing I'd been wetting beds fantasizing about since the fourth grade... maybe even earlier.

His body was tired, his posture a bit slumped, but his eyes were alive. With this... this *fury*.
    Constructive.
    Uplifting, even.
    I saw a man who was angry at the world... but who used his anger as a source of insipration. Drive. Energy. **Life**.

I knew it right when I saw it.

His eyes made me flash back to when I was 9 or 10 years old, when I first discovered how my body felt about strong, angry men... with **controlled** fury.

I remember watching my brother's football coach screaming vitriol right into his helmet, inches from his face. I was only 9 years old. Boys were still ewww gross. I had no idea what a "crush" or "being turned on" was. But... I'd reflexively closed my eyes and imagined myself in my brother's place, and ohhh was THAT a rush. I had no idea what had just happened to me, but, when I opened my eyes back up, my legs were shaking and I'd wet myself all the way through 2 layers.
    It became an obsession. I couldn't close my eyes without violent, wild, wonderful thoughts of being **taken**. Being overwhelmed -- physically and, especially, emotionally -- into sweet, sweet submission.
    Not even "against my will"... but, having "my will" ITSELF molded by the pure energy of this fantasy man.

Again... that was long before I became boy-crazy, and a couple years before I even felt any noticeable attraction to boys themselves. This was something deeper, darker, greater.

And THIS man had it.
    He had ME.
    I saw it, right there, in his eyes. He was the man I'd fantasized about since I was ten years old.

Our eyes met.
    He pretty much read my mind. Which he still does now, almost 18 years later.

"Let's get a room?"
    This was the first, and last, time I've ever heard him ask a question like a question, with rising intonation at the end.
    I don't remember what I said back. Probably incoherent babble. Maybe nothing at all, other than a slight nod of the head and a slack jaw.

A cab ride later, he was inside me.
    Before long, he was inside my heart and my soul.

We had about 14 hours together. Fourteen hours of things straight out of erotic romance literature... things that aren't supposed to happen in real life. And then we were separated by 2,000 miles of deep blue.

What Guys Said 18

• Online. And I'm glad I met her.

• I met my wife at work. I was near the end of my student teaching at the time.

While walking back from the faculty lunch room to my class, I heard someone playing Beethoven on the piano. Playing it very well. I ducked into the music room, and saw my then-future wife playing with such beauty, passion, even ecstasy, that I was spellbound. She didn't hear me come in. When she finished I clapped, and she spun around rather surprised. I saw a light and beauty in her dark eyes. I was drawn to them. Catching her off guard was fun, too.

We fell into a conversation about music, and I was drawn to what I could learn from her. The rest is history

• She was a costumer at my work. We lasted 8 years :)

• Knew of her in high school. Never really talked. Ran into each other through mutual friends years later at a university that's not even near our hometown.

• On the tram

• High school, 30 years ago.

• 0|0
  • First girl I ever fell on love with was in high school no other girl would even match up to her, confident, assertive, lively energetic and had the bitchy vibe I loved it. She was hot, short, long hair. We were both about 14 years old.

• Last year of college, first year of Masters at uni.

• In my imagination

• At the payroll department where I work. It's like I meet her all over again every Thursday. She's so beautiful. She's thin, white, and has big numbers written all over herโค๏ธ

• While attending group therapy for the mentally ill , i met my 2 ex girlfriends.

• I was friends with her older sister's boyfriend and met hanging with him at their house.

• She messaged me on PlentyofFish

• I met my wife at church. The week before I asked her out. She was complaining in her woman's group that Christian men need to grow a back bone and start asking girls out more. Well she definitely got her wish. :)

• Seriously? It just had to have a Black/White couple?
    I hate this PC kind of BS and leftist view that is pushed upon everyone.

• Um I didn't put that photo up. GAG must have. But who the fuck cares?

• That is what I figured. GAG does stuff like that pretty often. And sometimes takes down stuff that isn't in line with liberal agenda.

• Yo take a chill pill

• At our engagement.

• at her husbands friends party

What Girls Said 17

• my husband and i met online; at the time, i was working 60+ hours/week and barely had time to eat or sleep, meaning that going out to "meet people" was off the table.

that said, i'm an introvert and really don't like people anyway. so online dating offered me another bonus: talking to strangers without the paralyzing anxiety or worrying about planning an escape route if things aren't going well... i can fake it well enough if i have to, though i'd really rather not.

after a month of chatting through the site, we finally met in-person and things did go well... we're in our third year together now, and we're just as in-love as we were then.

• I met him where we used to work

• My senior year of high school when he was a sophomore and he started following me during lunch

• We met at school when we were 11.

• College = K-12 as well

• Gym

...

• I haven't met him yet unfortunately

• Online but I hate that.
    I wish I could meet someone in person.

• He lives in the house next to me, we're neighbours

• on the city bus

• The gym ๐Ÿ˜

• She was my student in both of my classes

• camp

• I met her online ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Other.. we grew up on the same block.

• haven't met him yet.

• We met online but we first spoke at a party