Boyfriend called me out for being quiet?

I'm quiet and shy. Always have been and probably always will be. My boyfriend of 4 years know this about me.

But we were out to dinner tonight with a group of about 12 people. They were all his friends, some of whom I was meeting for the first time. The restaurant was loud and everyone was talking over one another. I'm not the type of person who yells to be heard and talk over someone else. I was just listening and actually enjoying that.

But half way through dinner, my boyfriend called me out for being quiet. In front of everyone he asked me if I had anything to contribute to the conversation, why I was so quiet and told me that I was making everyone's feel awkward and uncomfortable.

After he said that there was complete silence for what seemed like hours. No one said anything, they all looked at me and I was speechless. I didn't know what to say, my mind was completely blank.

I thought it was rude of him to say that. He was being a dick on purpose. I was extremely embarrassed. I feel like he owes me an apology. Yes I'm quiet, yes I don't have a lot to say, yes I don't like talking over other people but that's how I've always been. I don't think he had the right to treat me like that.

Am am I wrong to feel this way? What would you have done? Advice please!

Most Helpful Guy

• don't mean to be an asshole playing devils advocate, but really it could be either a social status thing and he wants you to be able to have social skills (he's an extrovert) and get involved in stuff amongst other things, or he feels like you just hate it there because you won't talk, probably worded my opinion wrong but hopefully you get the idea

• No I understand that. But I think he went about it the wrong way

Most Helpful Girl

• No you're not wrong to feel upset. I would have told him in front of everyone "and the size of your penis makes me uncomfortable so deal with it". If a guy wants to try and be an ass to me on purpose just to look cool in front of his friends then you can bet that I'll be an ass back and embarrass him or make him feel awkward. But you're obviously shy and won't do that so tell him what he did hurt you and you are not okay with him being an ass to impress his friends.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• Oh man. That's pretty harsh. Yes, he owes you an apology.