Could you date someone who went to jail?

I mean, could you consider meet and spend time with someone who did?

2033

Most Helpful Guy

• The fact that she went to jail isn't necessarily the problem... It's the why. Someone who says to me "yeah I killed my previous boyfriend who coincidentally looks like you" is a bit different to me than "yeah I partied a bit too hard one night and got thrown in the drunk tank."

I don't see jail itself as a dealbreaker, but some of the possible reasons for going to jail could factor as big negatives. Likewise, it also depends on things like how long ago it was, how she is currently like, etc.. It's a complex factor that requires more details to make a judgement. It varies case by case.

I suppose the answer is therefore "it depends."

Most Helpful Girl

• It really depends on the reason why they went to jail.

What Guys Said 32

• It depends on what she's done. Not everyone goes to jail for horrible things like murder, theft, rape, kidnapping... there are minor issues that can make someone spend a few months in jail without representing a real risk.

• Every one deserves a second chance if the crime doesn't include violence or hurting people but for the most part people are human and not even close to perfect mistakes can be made I got a drunk driving ticket I also quit drinking alcohol and I went to jail for it what a expensive way to go believe me so that's it i quit swing !!!

• My view would be determined by the nature and circumstances of the offence for which they had been convicted.

• Nope. I would never put my own life in danger like that with anyone who's been in prison. Because that would bring me along for the ride which I could end up becoming the next suspect I was set up to become. No means no for that.

• Nope.

• Nope, not at all. That's like signing up for trouble.

• well. there are some cases.
    -the ones that had been rehabilitated,
    -the ones who haven't
    -the ones who had been rehabilitated but they got back to their violent or even criminal personalities.
    -the ones who haven't been rehabilitated but they will get on the right path depending on they're future and actions.
    -And many more others, but personally I consider thows to be the most important.
    According to his personality he can be either verry sorry for what he did and feel bad that he lost (how many) years/ monts of his life in jail. and wants to have a family and get on the right path. Or either he can be even worse and violent and with a urge for revenge, hurting anyone who gets in it's way.
    now you have to decide if you know him enough to decide if he had been rehabilitated and this relationship is worth the risks.
    But be careful.

• Yes. sometimes, people just make mistakes. If they learned from their mistake and are bettering themselves, then there is nothing bad about that.

• Kinda depends what they did for going to jail and how many times they have gone to jail. I wouldn't be someone who killed somebody or had a major drug problem.

• Depends what they were charged with.

• 70% of the people in prison are there for money issues
    the other 30% are there for other reasons

and that's a rough estimate so yes it is possible if anything very likely

• it depends for what reason they been to jail

• Only if she tattoos my name on her bicep then gives me a headlock for fun. Otherwise nah

• Depends for what they were in jail for, most likely not tho.

• Yeah, depends what for though

• Yes I love jail birds

• Depends on why they went to jail.

• I have been to prison for the person I WAS. And wish not to be judged by the way I have been in the past. I could usually get any woman I want, but I can see how a criminal record could repel some more responsible ladies.

• If she is a murder or a rapist then no buy if it's just stock manipulation then no problem

• Depends on what they went there for.

• Only if she did something cool that landed her there

• Not really depends what that person done if he killed someone robbed someone or some other seriouse crime. Them of course not unless you want that this person would mess your life.

• if she become good after being free, then yes

• No, id consider women who went to jail to be either crazy, addicts , or simply unfeminine.
    So, nah

• Depends on what they went to jail for, smoking weed? Sure.
    Rape? No.

• yes surely! why not? they are still humans afterall and sometimes humans under some conditions take actions which are not of their nature.

• It would depend on what they did.

• never ever

• depends on what she/he did and if it Even Was true

• hello

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 19

• It depends why they went to prison, and their attitude and remorse for what they did.
    If they genuinely did the act that put them in prison but felt hard done by, that the act was justified and not their fault etc then no.
    If they can see they made a mistake and are repentant and understand the jail time was their consequence then possibly

• Preferably not because it could always come back in the future and affect any plans we could have. But if I really liked him then yes I would. (Also the type of crime and when it happened plays a huge role, if it was something like in the wrong place at the wrong time when they were in high school or college age then I'd have no issue)

• If they have turned their life around and depending on the crime, yes. I don't see why not. I have made some poor choices in the past and I would hate to be judged by them forever.

• Hell no.

Unless it happened to be someone who was sent to jail falsely and later acquitted when they were able to prove they didn't do it.

But no, I'd never date someone with a criminal history.

• If they got caught drinking underage or something minor then sure but not if it was something serious that will follow him throughout his life.

• My brother went to prison, he's still a great brother, father and son. Everyone has their faults.

• Depends on what they did. If they're in there for rape, NO. Unpaid parking tickets? Maybe.

• Like people have said below, it really depends on the situation. I think second chances are a beautiful part of life and the mistakes we make shape us, so I would be willing to give someone a shot. If it's clear they haven't grown and learned from their experience, then I would probably have to reconcisider the situation. All in all, it's important to have empathy towards others, but make sure to trust your gut and get out if it doesn't feel right.

• No way

• No, absolutely Not.

• Yeah I could

• Yes. 😊

• Yeah I would

• Depends on why they went to jail

• Yes but only for a minor crime

• Dpends on the reason why that someone was sent to jail..

• It depends on why they went to jail. Personally, I believe everyone is good at heart, people make mistakes. But if they murdered or rape someone, I don't think I can start a life with him. I'd be afraid he'd kill me in my sleep or rape someone. But for example if they went to jail for selling drugs and taking drugs, then yes I'd give them a shot, but of course I'd help them stay clean. But in the end, I can't help who I fall in love with, so it'll just be a gamble.

• As long as the person didn't kill, rape or attack anyone

• Depends what they did. My husband was a bad boy, but he cleaned up his act with me.