Telling strict parents I have a boyfriend?

To preface this, it's definitely not that we just met and have been on a few dates or anything. We've been dating for almost 6 months, and we'd been friends for a couple months before that as well. I've met his parents as well a couple times and been over to his house quite a bit but as for mine.. They think he's just a friend. I think my dad might be suspecting it a little, though. He's also a lot more old fashioned, and I've heard him talking about family friends who date before getting married. My boyfriend's been pretty patient with me though, and he's been telling me to take my time and get around to it whenever I think works best. And I definitely don't want to hide him from them like this, but..

Well, I have strict Vietnamese parents. They've only in the past year really allowed me to go out and spend time with friends, and I do worry that if I tell them I have a boyfriend they'll immediately reel in any freedom or privileges I had managed to get recently. We're both in college together and he's studying criminal justice at the moment. While I don't think that's a deal breaker since they're okay with me being a psychology major, one major factor that I think would influence their reaction is the fact that he's white.

I don't want to upset my parents, but I know that the longer I keep this from them the more difficult it'll be to tell them about it. What would you suggest I do, or especially how to go about it?

12

What Guys Said 2

• instead of telling them, ask them how they would feel if you got a boyfriend and go from there. if the skin color gets to them, tell them to give him a chance and get to know him first before they instantly rule him out. skin color shouldn't matter

• If you are 18 or over, they have no rights to tell you who to date. you are an adult and can lead your life the way you want to.

What Girls Said 1

• I think you should start by telling them that you really like someone. If their reaction to it is positive and they start teasing you about it, you can mention to them that you'd really like it if they meet up with him. Maybe that would make them feel more comfortable to the idea.
    Does your boyfriend have an issue meeting with your parents?