Would you seriously date someone who would leave you when things are tough financially?

Could you date someone who supported you to always keep moving upwards in your career and make more money but will leave you if things become financially difficult and you end up poor for a time?

• Yes
  • No

1517

Most Helpful Girl

• No. I've already been through tough financial shit with my SO (he was unemployed for a time) and I didn't bail. I expect the same.

Most Helpful Guy

• No. That's why if she values jewelry and expensive gifts more than time spent together and hand made gifts, then it's over.
    I value loyalty, not greed.
    Being greedy is one of the main reasons why I left my ex wife.
    That is also why On a date, either we split the bill, or she pays for me. If she insists that I pay, I'll just leave right then.

What Girls Said 14

• Heck no! I would have sensed that right off the bat! That is why I stay to myself. Especially for marriage. What's the point of taking those vows when you're not committing to them or want to? Rich or poor. If that person wants out because you don't have whatever just for the sake of money, then they aren't worth it. But at the same time, I get some people can't handle that seriously and it causes more pain and frustration when you do want a future with them. I say it depends on the situation with who your with, but usually the answer is a no.

• There's no way to tell how someone will react when things are difficult. That said, if his character and history reflect he bounces when things get tough, no he's not for me.
    And all those saying this is the way women are? I've always been successful, always had money in the bank, and I've never needed a man to provide for me. I've worked my ass off and taken appropriate measures to ensure if i should ever lose my job or are unable to continue working, that my bills will be paid and lifestyle won't change. Not all women are mooches, just like not all men are providers. 😉

• Nope. When things are tough is the time they can show how much they really care. By leaving you alone or supporting you and pushing you forward. I wouldn't want someone who will leave me alone. Thats not love, thats calling taking advantage of what someone has.

• No , I'd never date someone if they'd walk away during challenging times.

• Any long term couple will statistically go through unemployment at least once. You can't bail just because it gets rough!

• Nope. Relationships are for better or fore worse.

• Obviously not

• What woman or guy in their right senses would ever consider doing this? smh

• Most men do it. As as women is lovey dovey to them, most men are dumb enough to date a woman like this.

• But obviously you don't think for one moment that perhaps women ever get it wrong, is that what you're saying?

• No I never said that. I'm saying statistically men are more likely to date a gold digger or a person who will only be all lovey dovey to them as long as their financially sound; this isn't to say that person themselves doesn't have finances themselves.

While women tend to be more calculative in dating and weigh the benefits they get from associating with you. Women less often allow themselves to get taken advantage of financially and most men aren't with women for the most part for their money. Men most of the time when they get with women it's because of physical attraction. So a woman say becoming broke, would not cause most guys to go looking elsewhere.

• Maybe. I won't know unless I did. Most people are cool until it gets rough.

• NOOO

• That's why I won't date because I'm in a shitty financial situation right now and I don't want to have a guy to complain about helping me out during that difficult time.

• nope!

• definitely no

• I mean you only want me when I'm at my best? Like if you don't want me at my worst you don't deserve to celebrate my success with me. So no I wouldn't

What Guys Said 16

• absolutely not... if someone isn't willing to work through the tough times they aren't worth it

• NO
    we think that, vote that
    but when hard time hit, polls strongly report many breakups/divorces as the jerks change horses

• I wouldn't. If she does it she never truly loved me.

• Absolutely not! the tough times is when real character shines through, if she bails when I am on tough times then she is mentally weak and a quitter.

• Well most women are like that so its either accept it or stay single.

• That would be the vast majority of women, who would leave when there was a financial problem.
    Women are hard wired to do that as a survival strategy. It is called hypergamy. I am not condemning that behaviour.

• No.

This is probably a question more directed towards the men.

• Why? you don't think women are capable of providing for themselves and/or their families? Nice.
      My partner hasn't been able to hold down a steady job for the entire time that we've been together. It's never once made a difference to how I feel about him. His laziness annoys me, but that's a different issue.
      I'm the only one with a job, and that doesn't affect our relationship. That's never even come into my head.

The majority of women out there are happy to make their own money, and are amazing capable of doing so. who knew, right?

• @EmiliaB
      It's fantastic, that there are women out there like you! I do not however support laziness or deliberate unemployment.
      My point was if women (or anybody in that matter) are leaving their man (partner) when times get tough or the finances are becoming problematic, then that person did not deserve it's partner. I absolutely despise people like these like diseases and pests.

To me it just seems, that women nowadays care too much about our money. Then again, maybe I am a bitter virgin, who can't get laid behind a desktop?
      But for real now, I love women, I absolutely ADORE women! But I still have this little mindset or the idea left, that in any way women DO care about our money and I aim to drop it ASAP. I just would like to interact with the opposite sex more often.

There is this saying "no money no honey" and I would be comfortable not believing it.

• No, because it's pretty clear that money (that they want me to work harder and longer for) is all they're interested in. They can go find another host to leech from.

• that's like practically every woman in the world.

• Yea I kind of just keep my expectations low. I'm pretty certain I'll need money to ever even entertain the thought of dating someone, and likewise that girl would obviously leave me fast if I fell to such a status.

• No I don't want no gold digger.

• Fuck no that's retarded

• How would you know?

• why would you wanna stab yourself? exactly.

• Yes I'm okay with dating women.

• Nobody is gonna tell you that in advance, though.

• Yeah but you have to be an idiot not to pick up on it.

• @BubbleBoy69

Lol. Most people would be single forever if they didn't implicitly offer "security" to the woman.
      They aren't idiot, they know that's the only way for them.. and avoid bring up the topic.