My boyfriend is in the US Marines. However:
- I don't care about his career. I don't even know what rank he currently is.
- I reply to his messages whenever I can, but I never instigate. I always put my career ahead of him because only my career can feed me. I don't depend on him. Besides, I need to give him space to interact with his brothers in arms.
- I never post anything about him on FB. No #Mymarine or spamming any photos about how hard it is being in a military relationship.
- I am not a member of any military SO group. Or anything to do with the military, precisely.
- I don't wear pieces of his uniform or take pride in his job. I also don't have his dog tags or anything.
- I only say I love him sparingly.
- I don't care about his events nor either do I attend them.
- I don't associate myself as a military girlfriend or interact with others that are.
- Yes you are.Vote A
- No.Vote B
- Other (explain).Vote C
Most Helpful Guy
I mean, I don't even feel like the dude has a girlfriend if this is the case. I don't feel like you're in the right relationship. He needs as much support from you as he can get being in the Marines. If you just don't care for it, well, no one can exactly change that outlook for you. *just a question of curiosity* say he gets stationed overseas and he can bring you with him, would you go?1
- Show AllShow Less
Most Helpful Girl
I don't think you are a "bad" girlfriend... but I don't think you understand or appreciate the significance of what he is doing. When people join the military, they are literally reprogramming themselves to be able and do whatever it takes to survive a life-or-death scenerio. It is, in a sense, torture. They are defending our country from intruders, and the government treats them like shit. People in the armed forces hate the US govt more than anyone. But they do it for their love of America and what it "should" stand for. They are also separated from their loved ones for months on end, with no real promise of returning home...
It makes me wonder if you'd be happier in another relationship with someone who isn't in the military :/1