Would you date a victim of domestic violence?

If you liked this person before knowing that they were a victim of domestic violence, would you still date them after finding out? I'm not saying that it's their fault, but some people would just feel too much pressure. So what are your opinion on this?
PS: I'm the victim, and I don't know if I should tell the person. I'm scared to lose him.

25

Most Helpful Guy

• honestly, i would not. i was raised in the mind set that if someone hits you, you don't turn the other cheek, but hit them back. To me, giving into that sort of thing before, labels you as wreak in my mind. Not to say you are not strong, as you've survived it and are trying to move past it, but it would be something I'd never be able to move past.

Just be honest, and up front. If he likes you still, more power to ya.

Most Helpful Girl

• honestly, it wouldn't bother me.

i was sexually assaulted by a previous boyfriend, though i was hesitant to tell anyone i dated, for fear of being labelled "that girl" or that he'd think i was a liability/out to ruin his reputation with made-up accusations. but he noticed that, any time he'd try and initiate sex, i'd get agitated and nervous... and so i had to tell him.

that being the case, my advice to you is to bring it up if and when it feels natural or relevant. you don't have to disclose any more than you're comfortable with. but, if you tell him and he does leave, then he's a jerk and you deserve better.

i'm sorry this happened to you, and i wish you the best.

What Guys Said 4

• Yes I would. And yes, you should tell your current partner.

• Don't hide it from him, but chances are he will be just fine with it. Guys usually don't worry about stuff like that, it's more you, not what someone else did to you.

• I would still date her, but would be a bit bothered, like i would be afraid to know if im being sensitive enough , an things like that...

• Yep, I would. Pretty sure most guys wouldn't mind. It'd give us a reason to throw hands at the offender.

What Girls Said 1

• I would have no issue dating a victim of domestic violence.