How much older/younger would you be willing to date?

A lot of this depends on your age, of course. A 21-year-old, for example, wouldn't date someone 20 years younger, while a 70-year-old probably wouldn't go for someone 20 years older. So please, do specify your own age, especially if you choose to post anonymously.

• Within 5 years - nothing outside of that.
  • Within 10 years - nothing outside of that.
  • Within 20 years - nothing outside of that.
    Vote C
  • I believe in the "half plus seven" rule - a man should not date a woman younger than half his age plus 7 years. (40 year old man would not date someone younger than 27 (40/2 + 7 = 27))
    Vote D
  • Age doesn't matter - more that 20 years of age difference would be okay with me for a serious long-term relationship.
    Vote E
I know many women prefer older, and men often prefer younger. Feel free to choose either/or instead of a full range if it suits you.

2418

Most Helpful Girl

• I've never actually had a boyfriend, but all of the guys I've been more than mildly interested in have all been 5-30 years older than me. I think anything over 15 years difference is too old for a relationship, so I wouldn't date someone who is 40, but I could still find him attractive/interesting/good guy/relationship material. But I absolutely can't stand guys my age or younger because they're too immature. My ideal age range would be 5-10 years older than me, but I'd go up to 15 if I really thought he was the one. My grandpa was 10 years older than my grandma and they had the only marriage in my family I could look up to

I'm pretty sure this comes from being the youngest child. My brother was 9 years older than me and my oldest sister 6, so I was always used to being around older people as a child. I also used to have conversations with adults because I was the only one at daycare for a couple of hours everyday. I always liked talking to older people because they can share their experiences and give better advice than those who haven't been through much in life

There's this guy I've been flirting with who is much older than me, but I don't know exactly how old he is. I just appreciate the way he respects and looks at me and how he isn't afraid to compliment me. It's hard to explain the difference between being hit on by guys my age and older guys. Guys my age will just grab my ass or insult me (these are extreme turnoffs) while older men have more finesse. There's just something about a man looking into my eyes and saying "I want to kiss you, but you won't let me... You're beautiful" that young guys can't even compare to with their social awkwardness and insecurities. And all that without mentioning older men actually know what they're doing with their hands

Most Helpful Guy

• There is a chart from the book Dataclysm with data from OkCupid, which says that men wants a girl in the early 20s, no matter the age (18+). For women, 20-30 they want a man a bit older than them, 30+ they want a man younger than them (down to the age of 30)

• You made me Google! Interesting! But while men think women in their early 20s look best no matter how old they get, the message women close to their own age. So men don't necessarily actively seek much younger women.

And let's be real - don't older women also think men in their early 20s look better than most men in their 50s?

Article about the data you and I cited here:
      www.businessinsider.com/dataclysm-shows-men-are-attracted-to-women-in-their-20s-2014-10

• Got it! Thanks!! :D

• You are welcome!

What Girls Said 23

• 25-37ish

• At my current age (26), I can imagine myself dating someone up to about 5 years older, but probably no more than 2 years younger. Every guy is different, but I can't see a guy younger than that having the level of maturity that I want in a partner.

• i prefer within 5 years of my own age, though i've also broken that rule many times... age is just a number, within reason, but i'd feel like a pervy old lady if he was too much younger.

• I wouldn't date a man who is older then me by more then 10 years , that would be a bit weird. I wouldn't date a guy younger then me either.

• When I was 18 I started seeing a guy who was 47. He didn't have money, fancy things, or a big house. I just enjoyed his company. I'm 21 now and my last one was almost 50. I just happen to run into them and find a connection. I don't go out and decide I want to date men who are old enough to be my dad. I have had some of the best times of my life with these men. They give me great advice too. I don't judge a relationship by the age difference. As long as both are happy and in love then it's beautiful.

• A man older, later 50s I would question. Younger, maybe 3 years, only maybe.

• I'd date guys age 18 to 45.

• I want to date anyone more than 10 years older than myself and I am 21. I also don't think I would ever date anyone younger than me, well at least no more than a year or so younger than me anyway that would probably be the max on someone younger than me

• I used to think I wouldn't date someone within a 5 year age gap. However, I am 19 and my boyfriend is 31. When we talk, age is never in my mind. It seems like we are the same age when we talk. He doesn't look or act 31 and I don't act 19. We are a perfect fit. We make each other happy. We both have had horrible relationships in the past, but we feel that we help each other and empower each other to be the best we can be. I would never not date someone with that incredible capability just because they are older or younger than me by a certain amount. People may miss out on something life changing and magical if they restrict themselves based on age.

I think if there is a large age gap and the couple is constantly worrying about the age gap, they shouldn't be together. They are obviously not okay with an age gap, though they are trying to be. It should all be natural.

• "When he's 75, I'll be..."

Once you start doing math like that, the relationship is doomed?

• When he's 75, I'll be 63. Woopty-do. It's still love. 75 and 63 actually sounds better socially than 19 and 31. We both gonna be old farts together.

• Sounds great! <3 Good luck!! :)

• I actually prefer younger men. I'm seeing someone 7 years younger than me now. Now if he takes care of himself and carries his age well, I could date a younger man.

• Did you mean to end that with "I could date an older man?" Cuz you are dating a younger man now. :)

• Lol I wish I could find girls like you where I live. Most girls in their mid 20's won't even give me the time of day

• @NoLivesMatter damn I can't change my age. I put 26 by accident. I'm 46.

• Not younger than 17 and for older around 30 (after it really depend if he have wrinkles or no if i talk about physic only)

• No older than 49.

• I would date a girl anywhere from 18-55
    For guys, I date any guy above the age of 30. My boyfriend is 46 years old

• 3 in either direction

• Within two years

• well, my boyfriend is 3 years younger than me, so, around that age difference i guess

• Although I dont follow it personally, I think the half plus 7 rules makes sense.

• That's cool that you are open-minded, but what is your personal practice, if you are willing to divulge?

• All the people j dated were around 2 years older. Had a brief flirtation with someone around 8 years older once but that's it. Actual dates, 2 years older.

• My girlfriend is 23

• My girlfriend is 38. (I'm 28)

• A year younger to 20 years older would be ideal for me. My boyfriend is the exception at 58 years old

• I'm 22 but will be 23 just before summer ends. I'd date guys 23-35, I just prefer to date older than me.

• While I'm under 30 I wouldn't consider anyone over 5 years older than me and I wouldn't date anyone under 20 (I am 21).

• Never younger and 5 years older is my max

What Guys Said 17

• My girlfriend is 24, so... yeah. I do like younger girls, but she's different. I wouldn't look at anyone else when I'm with her.

• I think the lowest I'd go is 14.

• Within 5 years preferably younger. It's unlikely i'd date an woman older than 28.

• Older women are the best.

• if a girl is super cool i would be down with anyone from 18-40.

• Date? Not really looking to date anyone right now.

Attracted to?

Most of the girls I am attracted to tend to be in the 17 - 30 range.

I have a preference for girls in their mid 20's though.

• Happy to date girls anywhere from 18 through to 55, depending on the woman and if there was an obvious appeal there...

• I still prefer 16-24's, have since puberty, and always will, even if I have the misfortune of living to 150.

• 18-70 is my age range tbh.

• 18 if she's mature, up to 23.

• I'm 19 almost 20. The youngest I'd date is late 17 almost 18 and the oldest is like 22.

• about 3 years younger than me about 5 years old

• within 10 years younger is fine. or 5 years older is fine too

• the youngest person i'd date right now would be 18. The oldest would be 35

• 19-22

• I would date someone that is two years older/younger

• The half your age plus 7 is cool. Had never heard of it before. I'm 17. Probably would date a mature 14 year old tbh.
    Oldest? 22.
    One night stand? Up to 45