Is it acceptable for a 24y/o guy to date a 17y/o girl if its legal?

I frequent the gym where I've become acquainted with a 17y/o girl who seems to be interested. she initiates conversations, gives me flirty eyes and seems to like me.

what are your thoughts on us dating? (legal)

Id like to get to know her better but im anxious people will judge me.

110

Most Helpful Girl

• If it's legal, go ahead and try. But like, the difference in maturity at your ages might be a bit much.

And yes, people will judge, but so what? I'd just be concerned about the maturity difference.

• how old are you & mind if I ask advice on home to bridge said maturity gap?

• I'm 22.

And you kinda can't bridge a maturity gap... the other person is entirely in control of their own maturity. In general, older people are more mature. That isn't necessarily true on a case by case basis... But in general, a 17 year-old girl isn't exactly the poster child for an adult relationship. Maybe the girl you like is mature for her age, maybe not. Just saying, don't expect her to be a wife anytime soon.

Most Helpful Guy

• Seeing as dating doesn't have to include sex or even sensual activity, go for it. Maturity comes from the mind and experiences, not from age.
    Just keep it on a low level and don't make it sexual for a few months of getting to know each others, seriously, because some women are happy to screw up your life.
    and the opinion section is obvious why you should keep it low...

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 9

• Here is my story... I was 23 when I met my wife, she was also 17. Never had any issues with friends or family. Age difference was totally accepted by everyone. Even though I love her to death, if I ever relived my life, I would not date someone that much younger again. At 23 I was done school, college and was working and established in a career. She was still in high school. For years, I paid for most things, did all the driving, paid all vehicle expenses and so on. She paid when she could, but she only worked a minimum wage part-time job. She went to college, but never got a job in that field. Minimum wage part-time job continued!!! She was a wonderful person, but it took a long time for her to finally get a career going and some money coming in. By the time she was financially established, she was mid-20's and I was over 30! She was laid off from her job during the recession and it took a few years to recover from that. We are finally in a house for the first time in our relationship of almost 20 years! Even though she is a great person and our relationship is fantastic, love isn't everything. Money and careers is also important. Because she was so much younger, and her career got delayed, I basically put my life on hold for several years waiting for her to get done school and start a career. Basically, if I did it again, at 23 I would have rather found someone my own age who was also done school and also now established in a career and our lives together could have progress much faster and sooner compared to where I am at today!

• If this is something that both of you want then sure, go for it. Just be prepared for her family and friends to initially expect that you're just playing with her so you're going to have to show them that you're serious about this girl if you want them to accept you.

• In the United Kingdom, the age of consent is sixteen, and I think that that is right.

These days, emotional maturity seems to depend not so much on age. I know many older people who are immature, and many young people who are mature.

Make a reasoned judgement on this girl's maturity. Other people's judgements are irrelevant.

• I don't know where it would be legal. but that aside the age\maturity difference would be difficult. my advice don't do ANYTHING physical. just get to know her and enjoy each others company. and see where it goes from there.

• Seems like pedo shit to me she's a child your a grown man

• No matter what you do your taking advantage of her youth and ignorance

• Yes, only if she's is in agree.

• Yeah

• No dude it's illegal to date a minor

• It's fine if it's legal. Stuff what people say

• how old are you

• In my 30's actually. My age is wrong

• Unfortunately most people's first reaction is you're taking advantage. But I don't believe that's always the case. It depends on the individuals. Some age gaps really work. People are just narrow minded