Are long distance relationships really considered a real relationship?

• Yes
  • No (explain)

2112

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes of course.. if you're meeting in person or at least planning to in the near future then i don't see why it wouldn't be.. feelings are feelings no matter where you live..

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe. If you have an in person relationship and then must be separated due to school, work, etc. and you continue your relationship, that is a real relationship. If you are merely maintaining an online conversation with someone whom you have never met in person, that is a pretend relationship.

• or is it just cindisered feelings for each other?

• I mean what if they both had the same feelings for each other?

• How can your "feelings" for each other be taken seriously when you have never met?

What Girls Said 20

• They can be, absolutely. But it depends on the situation an how you treat it. When it comes to online relationships between people who have never even met in real life, I have a harder time seeing that as a true relationship, but it's ultimately up to the individuals to decide what their relationship is. However, lots of long distance relationships are between people who started out by dating in person or at least have spent time together in person. I definitely consider those to be fully real relationships.

• If you have never actually met them in person, started dating them over the internet, have only met a few times, and still live nowhere nearby, they are likely doomed to fail. Those kinds of relationships are nothing more than an emotional crutch for those who really shouldn't be dating, who should be taking single time to work on themselves, but simply refuse to be single.

Now, if you have been together for a long time, and you have to live far apart for a while, deployment, work related, school, etc, and know for fact that you will be living close by each other again, then sure, try and make it work.

• Its considered a real relationship but it also depends on how you treat it

If you ignore it and just go on messages to flirt for abit and nothing more obviously its not a relationship

But if you talk a lot and not inly flirt and treat it like a proper relationship obviously its a relationship

Either way in my opinion it is considered a real one
    But keep in mind its what you make it and treat it like

• Yes, @saud1998, as Long as you Both have a Heart and a Pulse Here, dear, it's A... Relationship.
    However, the key to Keeping it Going and Flowing is to Be as One, hun.
    Good Luck. xx

• I consider relationship as real relationship only if it is formed after meeting face to face. Then, they can do long distance.

• Of course.

• aything is real when your S. O. isn't imaginary...

and in todays time, with all the technology we have and ways to travel, why wouldn't it be? Sometimes it can be even more real then some relationships between people that share the same space.

• Yes but it is hard work. Requires frequent communication and definitely trust must be there or else it won't work out.

• of course but they require a lot of trust.

• Or is it just considered feelings for one another?

• if you've met before in person then its a real relationship. But if its someone you met online it can be a fantasy, because their attitude might change when you finally meet them in person

• Of course. :)

• Depends. A lot of teenagers have "relationships" with strangers online and never meet them at all. To me, that's not a relationship

• It depends.

• just friendship

• I'm long distance and our love is still as real as it can be. <3

• they can be serious, it just depends on the two people involved.

• yes, but it must have a goal at the end - marriage or moving in together

• They don't work

• they are considered relationships because you are committing to that person and still putting in the effort as much as you can. but if you do not take the relationship seriously then of course it's not necessarily real.

• Why wouldn't they be? A relationship isn't about how close you live to your partner, it's about commitment.

• It's bullshit...

What Guys Said 11

• Sure they are a lot of soldiers in WW2 went through them when they left their sweethearts to go fight in the war, they'd usually take a token of their woman with them to remember them by and a lot of them would send letters to and receive them from their partners.

And they kept these relationships going all throughout the war the men that survived married these women when they came back. keep in mind that these men were often deployed and constantly fighting for 1, 2 years at a time, sometimes more and never saw their partner during that time.

And yet they kept them going their relationships survived during a time of horror and horrendous war that decimated nations and continents and they didn't let the war nor Nazi's stop em.

So what excuse do we really have with our advanced technology and communication methods to not make these relationships work or to not even view them as relationships? when men far greater then us did?

www.artofmanliness.com/.../

www.artofmanliness.com/.../

• I could consider it a relationship if they're both 100% serious about each other, and not just that "I have a crush on this girl/guy who lives far away so lets say we're in a relationship until in like 2-3 months we get bored of each other" type of thing. But a LDR will never be able to be as good as a regular relationship.

• Personally I consider them more of a serious relationship than only dating within the proximity of the person. Mainly because it takes more effort, commitment and time from both parties to make it work. It's easy to love or want someone when you see them every day but it's truly hard to love someone and care for someone and not be able to be with them, physically, and to know that you not being there is causing them as much or more emotional pain than its causing you. And if you two can weather that pain and hardship than you truly are in love with one another.

• I remembered my grandparens ways now.

They would flirt throw letters...
    or the window...
    or basically with spoken words and not a lot of physicall touch...

My point is... even in the past we could call relationship to a couple that would not use all the ways they could to express it.

virtual contact is another limited way, worse or better thats debatable

I consider it a relationship, but its definitely not a good way to experience it.

• nope, too easy to get side orders, seeing each other/meeting to fuck is too much of a pain in the ass, etc. It usually ends when one or the other gets tired of it and finds someone else that's local.

• Not until they get together in person.

• Yes. I had a friend who met his now wife over the internet. Now they have a kid on the way, and are incredibly happy. They dated 3 years before they ever physically touched each other.

• Only if the involved parties actually meet in real life from time to time.

• A long distance relationship soon fades away, as both will meet new people some which will be interested.

• If they started off as local relationships, otherwise the two don't actually know each other

• yes, it requires more trust and commitment but almost certainly worth it

• Or can it just be there feelings?

• I would find it weird if a long distance couple did not meet each other at some point

• Hm. Interesting lol