Is my boyfriend overreacting or just being typical protective?

My boyfriend and I were hanging out at a party on Saturday. There was this guy there who was pretty drunk and needed a ride home (it was a little after midnight). He asked me, and of course I never want people driving home drunk, so I didn't think anything of it. He lived in the next town over, and I wasn't drinking (because I'm 19), so I got him home safely. I didn't tell my boyfriend I was leaving because he was having a good time with friends and I didn't want to interrupt them. I figured I'd be back before they even noticed I was gone. When I got back to the party, my boyfriend asked me where I had been. When I told him, he was furious to find out that I gave that guy a ride home. He started yelling at me and telling me how dangerous it was because we didn't know him, and because I didn't tell him that I was leaving. At that point, he just took me home- he didn't say much on the drive- and he hasn't talked to me since.

I was was trying to do the right thing. Is my boyfriend right to be so upset/worried? I didn't think it was such a big deal, I just wanted everyone to be home safe. At first I thought he was upset because he was trying to protect me but now I'm worried he might break up with me over this. I really was just trying to be a nice person.

30

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• You are such a good person for doing that. Props to you. He should be happy you did that, not angry. Your intentions were only pure.

• that's nice of you but your boyfriend have the right to be worried and upset... he cares about you after all... you should probably told him beforehand tho

• You're both kinda wrong. you probably should've told him straight up what you were doing, it can be misconceived as you trying to cheat. and it probably wasn't the safest bet to go without telling anyone. although it was very kind of you, and you did the right thing. next time drop them off at a bus stop or call them a cab you don't need to go that far.

• I didn't think of it that way, I honestly had good intentions. A few people have died in our town lately from drunk driving accidents so I guess I just wanted to prevent another one. I didn't think that it might look to him like cheating :(
      I like your idea of calling a cab!