Would you date a depressed person?

76

Most Helpful Girl

• Probably not.
    If he has recovered, then yes. One thing I have noticed with depressed people is that (not all but the ones I have met) they don't try to recover.

They dwell on negativity. No purpose in life and so on. I get that if the depression is extreme, it can be difficult to be positive.

But some people just don't try at all. Not even verbally.

I talked to a few and I felt exhausted.

There was this one guy I liked who was depressed but he tried to manipulate me by using suicide or self harm etc.

I don't think I would be able to give my best in a relationship with a person who is going through that.

Not because I think they are not worth it but because I know I won't be able to handle it.

Especially if they refuse to cooperate and take help.

If they are willing to get better and actually shows it, then I would I believe.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 6

• It depends how depressed and whether we could still have a good time.

I know there are people whose depression is so pervasive that, with it not at all their fault because they can't help it, they cannot let the emotion go and be cheered up even temporarily. Obviously, I couldn't date a guy in that state. I'd try to be his friend on some level and offer him a bit of time here and there to help him out, but that's as far as I could go.

A person feeling that bad should really seek help from a professional.

But, for me, if a guy is generally somewhat down and maybe I could boost his confidence or show him a good time, that can actually attract me as long as I feel I'm doing him some good.

• No. Because depressed people are desperate for a relationship unless their depression has nothing
    to do with who they date. They should be seeking help to change first before seeking a setious relationship. Because they will start to become a liability if they can't control their issues depend on the serverity and why they feel depressed.

• As somebody who's experienced depression if I was interested in this person romantically I think I would try to become their friend first and try and help them work through or support them through it and then take that next step. Just personally when I was in a deep depression what I really needed was to figure out how to make myself happy again and not really on somebody to care for my emotions

• No because I have depression and the best way for a relationship to survive is for the strong person to help and support the one who is at a weak spot. It would be likely for both of us to be weak at the same time and in my experience and from what I've seen in my parents relationship, it doesn't work very well when both partners are weak at the same time.

• Yeah. Both me and my fiancĂ© have depression.

• Yeah nobody is perfect

What Guys Said 5

• Only if it was someone that I knew before thier depression and whom I knew would snap out of it.

• Yes provided I don't get depressed in the process and the person is good and better personality

• Yeah I would.

• id rather help the depressed person.

• I guess it depends how severe their depression is