Is it morally wrong to go out with a man who is in a relationship as a friend?

Provided I don't touch him or let him touch me or even think about him that way, is it morally wrong to go out with a man who is in a relationship alone?

As friends?

What do you think?

• It is wrong
  • It is fine

1412

Most Helpful Guy

• Umm... YEA!!
    He's a friend...(if he really is just that)... I've broken up with girls that started bitching just because i went out with some female friends of mine.. keep in mind some of these friends i knew before i was even in that relationship...
    Anyone that is not comfortable with you having friends of the opposite gender... thats a red flag... that is budding distrust and we all know what that does to relationships eventually.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think men will still look at girls as girls. Ud be surprised how many times i was shocked when i realized how they felt towards me later (a drunk confession or playing truth and dare). Now i know that u can't fool urself and think that they would have the same feelings you promised to stick to. Men and women are different. We girls are easily pleased just by spending time or a nice conversation. Guys will always look for and enjoy the things that u can't see. So I'd say if he's not going out with you cuz he's planning on breaking up then its totally wrong. Unless it's a group thing.

What Guys Said 11

• the rest I judge it is this...

if it's something he had to lie about to his girlfriend, or that makes his girlfriend sad or angry when she DOES hear about it.. it's cheating (or at VERY LEAST a betrayal) .
    I think YOU'RE in the clear morally (or at least a super grey area) though. however, if something DOES bloom between you two just remember, he did this to her so why wouldn't he do it to you in the end?

another thing to consider are HIS motives. maybe he says it's just as friends, but knowing guys and being one myself, I can tell you there could be darker intentions lurking beneath the surface.

• If that man is only your friend then logically you are not in a relationship with him, as in you are not in any committed relationship with him. Hence it's fine if you both only go out together as friends only.

• Of course it's fine. Everyone is allowed to have friends of either sex. As you say, if it's only friendship, where's the harm?

• if it's truly platonic friendship then it's 100% fine

• There should be nothing wrong with spending time as friends. Though if you are going out to eat (which is essentially a date) then it becomes iffy.

• It's more than fine. It's great. I feel all serious relationships should start with friendship before deciding if you want to date. I don't want to date a random pretty stranger. I want to have a fun connection with her first.

• it can be fine depending on the situation. If both of uare not flirting to each other

• It's morally okay. Is it a good idea for him? Depends on his girlfriend. Probably not.

• It's fine, but be careful with temptation.

• No, as long as you agree to go out as friends. And keep things at friends level only.

• It's fine as long as boundaries and limitations are set.

What Girls Said 13

• As Innocent as it may be Here, dear, it may be Good for the Goose but not for His.. Lucy Goosey Gander. She may have a Lot to say, even though there is no Play.
    Keep it Light and Semi Sweet with a Tweet, no Going Out nor Hanging out, it could go the other Way, no Way of being Sure. Only Mother Nature would Know this for Sure.
    Good Luck. xx

• as long as the friend isn't someone that s/he had a romantic or sexual history with, i'd probably be fine with it.

my social circle is quite diverse: we're women, men, single, married, gay, straight, more than one, or none of them. as long as there is respect and trust in the relationship, i don't see why it should be an issue.

• Well, for me it's fine, It doesn't bother me if my man goes out with his female friend, well it doesn't bother me because I trust him, I also go out for a beer after work alone with my male colleague... nobody died yet lol

it's all a trust matter

• I've been best friends with a guy in a relationship before - his girlfriend didn't see him very often and knew he would be lonely if he didn't have male and female friends so he allowed him to have female friends. His new girlfriend would not let him be friends with other woman so we had to end our almost ten year friendship.

• Perfectly fine, as long as you and he just act like friends! I had lots of platonic opposite sex friends in college, and some even now. Nothing wrong with it, at all.

• I would say it is ok as long as there is no past between you. Why not all hang out together? I hang with my boyfriend and his friends that are girls.

• My boyfriend has hung with his friends that are girls alone though and I trust him

• if I go out with my guy friend, or even travel with them, I will ask my boyfriend to join, and also introduce him to them. so that he knows my friends and comfortable with that, to ensure there's nothing to hide about that, and he have nothing to worry about

• If its completely platonic, not even cuddling is appropriate. A greeting hug is fine but no more physical contact then that.

• If you guys have boundaries between each other, its fine. You gotta keep the space between "boyfriend" and "boy-friend" extremely thick.

• Depends on if the girlfriend is fine with it

• it depends on what his girlfriend thinks and if you have underlying feelings for him. I would say don't go anywhere alone that is date like and make sure his girlfriend is ok with it. also hang out in a group if his girlfriend is more comfortable with that.

• dude you're not "going out" it's something called "hanging out".

• it is wrong