Do you believe that relationship counseling (registered psychologist) can actually help save a relationship?

• Yes, it can help save the relationship
    50%(6)71%(29)Vote79%(23)
  • No, it can't help save the relationship
    50%(6)29%(12)Vote21%(6)

Most Helpful Guy

• It surely can but there are some very real caveats...

1. Most of them are not worth a shit. Older men are the best, women are the worst simply because they really don't understand the man. But bottom line, if you two don't 'click' with your counselor then fire them and get another one.
    2. If both parties are not fully on board with fixing whatever is broken then all bets are off - no one can get some one to change if they don't want to, if they're not interested. Just don't waste your time and effort.
    3. Substance abuse - all bets are off
    4. Affairs - a cheater has to swear off the OP (other person). They have to cease all communication and delete everything about them, never see or talk to them again. If not, it will NEVER work.

A good counselor will give you exercises and tools to restore the relationship and realize where it went wrong. In most cases one or both parties are more likely to listen to a third party's advice as opposed to their spouse's.

24-year anniversary last Sunday. Second marriage. Many affairs. Grown children.

• Congrats, thank you for the advice. Unfortunately my meeting is with a female counselor. Should i be concerned?

• Yes joint counselling in about 1 hour!

Tha'ts funny that you mentioned that because my SO was asking why I chose a woman? but honestly i didn't know who to choose.

Thank you for your help, if she isn't any good I will get another one. I just hope that my SO respects what she has to say if she is any good

• If she's any good she will try to establish rapport early on. If she thinks she can bowl him over with authority, then likely not. Men are stronger than this - pig headed if you will. They'll just dig their heels in. After all, you liked him because he was strong in the first place, right? You can't just tell them they're wrong - you have to frame things so they can come to an understanding of things on their own.
      As the wife says, you may not always be right but you're never wrong. :)

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 18

• So long as both parties respect each other, yes, but if either has lost respect for the ‚Äčother, then no.

• Yes I think it can, its good to have someone who's outside giving advice from a middle ground who isn't biased. it can also help people to hear someone else tell them what they are doing is hurtful or even acknowledge when someone is doing good. mind you it may take a few attempts at finding one that fits the couples dynamics. if both parties are willing to make it work I think it's good it helps show commitment to the relationship and the bond to want to try and fix it as long as both parties are giving 100.

• It can't make compromises happen.

What it can do is help people with poor communication or bad habits resolve those so they are clear about wants and needs, understand each other and can look for solutions plus avoid antagonizing each other.

But it can't manufacture solutions to differences.

• they could. it's not 100% that they will but they certainly could

• It can, sometimes some couples just need to see things they can't to be together and counselling can help them see it.

• Without it, I would not have married my wife.

• Please elaborate?
      After 3 years with my boyfriend today we are going to see a relationship counselor. Him and I have been fighting non stop, and he has even broken furniture in the home.

• in a few hours... not now. pm me.

• Yes, it's their job.

• I feel it takes the two in the relationship to make things work, of course the best counselor is a man of God and God himself.

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ONLY THE TRUTH CAN

• only if both people are ready to put in the work.

• No, only hard fucking can save a relationship.

• If both people are willing to put effort, yes

• Anything a couple is told by outsiders when it comes to helping out their relationship, is always taken into consideration, so I will assume professional help will have a bright side to it.

• I think it's good to supplement couple's counseling with private counseling.

• I rather think that both should be counselled alone.

• Why not come to GAG? It's free.

• Maybe

• some people need... but √≠ dont

What Girls Said 0