Would you date someone with a mental illness (depression, anxiety, eating disorder, OCD, etc)?

Comments are encouraged! Explain your answer :)

• Yes
  • No

2022

Most Helpful Guy

• I was diagnosed with social anxiety and major depression and would be find with dating someone with a mental illness.

Depression; no I myself wouldn't know how to cheer someone up if they were depressed all of the time. Them being depressed would probably bring me down as well.
    Social anxiety; depends on severe. But I feel I could help them overcome it as I been in their shoes and would their for emotional support all the way.
    Eating disorder; no
    OCD; probably.

I can understand someone people not wanting someone who has a metal disorder as in most cases it can be emotionally difficult to put up with the person and wanting a normal relationship but you can't. The stress could be unbearable for someone who sees a person with a mental illness as being a challenge. That's if they need someone to be with them 24/7 depending on the illness then that's another thing on it's own. But if they can live a normal life with minor issues, it's not a huge deal to some people. To each their own as everyone is different.

• Very respectful and well thought out answer! I hope your anxiety and depression become easier for you. xx

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol the man who said you're weak if you date them is probably divorced and lonely. It's not like you are dealing with a baby. Every adult has their struggles even if it isn't a mental disorder. Real relationships work on these things if the partner has one of these. Its a support system.

What Guys Said 21

• I have a mental illness. Don't worry we don't bite. Some of us my seem a little strange but in general we are friendly.

• The 'yes' people are dillusional. No well adjusted mature adult wants to babysit another adult. Not only no, but HELL no.
    What do people think dating and relationships are? Adopting a puppy? OMFG

• You do realize people with mental illnesses are not crazy, right? They can typically function. A lot of the time, you can't even tell they have a mental illness. It's not "babysitting" at all. No part of it is even close. Dating someone with a mental illness does not mean you have to babysit them. Just love and support them like you would anyone else. You, sir, seem to be the delusional one.

• You are so heartless to refer to people with a mental illness that is not their fault, as being screwed up, that is so judgmental. You never know you might develop a mental illness, it's not something people ask for.

• @el3ctric Oh, that makes all the difference then. Sign me up!! LOL

• Depends on what it is. Anything in the Cluster B category of Personality Disorders, no. Anything where the person has breaks with reality including bipolar disorder, no.

I'm fine with the following as long as their not super out of control: All the ones you mentioned, ADD, and probaly others I can't think of right now.

• No I wouldn't.

• It really depends on the severity of the mental illness.

• depression - no
    anxiety - yes
    eating disorder - yes
    OCD - yes

• It really depends on what kind of disorder and the severity of the disorder.
    I'm typically not opposed to the concept of dating someone with depression, however.

• no , i dont date mentally ill people

• Yes, it wouldn't matter to me.

• yes i would i would love to help her out i will always be with her try to console her and tell her that she's fine and I'll always take care of her no matter how worse the situation is and I'll tell her that i love her

• No, too unstable. I want stability in a relationship financially and mentally.

• been there, done that... three times

• I already did ;)

• Yes, I have, and she was great. We're all jacked up, it's just a matter of degree.

• i have in dated a girl with at least one in all my relationships

• Yes, if it would be something normal (nowadays everything is an illness) and not a real problem.

• Depends on the illness.

• Maybe, if they were really amazingly rad.

• you know if she had depression well I have to love for her and make her happy

• I've struggled a lot with depression and anxiety, and for the most part I'm over it, but I think the fact that we both struggled would help bond us together and give me an opportunity to love her and help her to heal from the wounds :)

• Most people have OCD or something.

What Girls Said 19

• Possibly... depends on how severe it is

• Yes, definitely. I have depression & anxiety myself and being with someone else who has the same issues could help us bond.
    My dad has depression although my mom doesn't, and she has helped him get through the worst times of his life. If that doesn't tell you something then I don't know what does. He almost quit his job last year because he was so depressed. :(

• If someone is receiving appropriate treatment for the problem, I don't view it any differently than any other medical condition.

• well, i count myself among those numbers and my husband keeps me around, so.

• Yeah, both me and my fiancé have depression and anxiety

• I used to have most of the ones listed (& people claim my obsession with having clean hands is a mild OCD, too) & partly still have them, so it would be hypocritical of me to say no to them.

• Yes. i have ocd myself.

• Depression, yes
    Anxiety, yes
    Ptsd, yes
    Eating disorder, no
    Ocd, yes
    Schizophrenia, no
    Bipolar, yes
    Tourettes, no

• thats most people, so yeah.

• Depends on the disorder and on the severity of it. But in general, yes I would

• I don't think I would (depend which one it's too)

• Yes I would, if I really love him I will accept him the way he is

• I'm currently being treated for anxiety so yes

• I wouldn't since

• Definitely. It is okay for people to have these things in my opinion. I can't help it if I fall in love with somebody who has mental issues. And even if I'm not in love, I'm willing to get to know somebody intimately who has these things. It's what connects us and helps us understand each other on a certain level. It's a tough thing to go through, even worse to go through alone.

• Here's my 2 cents... I have dated someone who ended up falling into a major phase of depression. We both decided it was best to end things, mainly for him to get better and find the right medication/therapy and it was also affecting my own mental well-being. He cared for me deeply, but knew he couldn't give me what I needed which I understood. He's still struggling to find the right medication and I still support him as a friend. It's hard because we both still have feelings for each other but he doesn't want to inflict what he's going through with anyone. It's hard to watch someone you care about change so dramatically and go through something like that. I can hardly imagine what its like.

And would I date someone with depression again? Yeah, if they manage it and are seeking help.

• It depends , I've Been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and have no problem dating someone with the same mental illness as me. Some mental illnesses I couldn't handle (Antisocial personality, Bipolar , BPD, schizophrenia) and I don't think I could date someone with an eating disorder either , I don't know if I could properly help and support them

• Hey gurl im like 50% (half) of the things u mentioned there, and i have a boyfriend XD

• Yes. Most normal men are already taken or are gay, so I have to settle with the ones with mental illnesses.