My guy best friend has a girlfriend - so why is he flirting with me?

So a guy & I have been best friends for several years. Shortly into our friendship we dated but we both were young, immature, & soon we both decided it would be best to keep things platonic & a few years down the road we'd see if we wanted to date again. So for the past couple years we communicate almost daily, confide in each other, have nicknames for each other, support each other, & do just about everything together. My friend is also very affectionate the majority of the time. During this time, he's had several short-lived girlfriends. He becomes obsessed with a girl for a couple months, gushes about her, points out how much better she is than me. He then distances himself & ignores me to be with her, then he either loses interest or things just don't work out, & he goes back to being best friends like nothing happened. He's even asked multiple times if I would date him again, & I've turned him down. Recently, he started dating this girl & it's probably the most serious relationship he's been in, but he's acting very weird about it. He doesn't gush about her, he doesn't ignore me like he has in previous relationships - in fact, I've tried to create some distance & he won't have it. He still wants to hang out alone with me, & his behavior is more confusing than ever. He kissed me out of nowhere a few days before he & his girlfriend officially started dating (he later said the kiss was a joke), he says 'I love you' more than ever, he kisses me on the cheek, he wants to hold hands with me, makes jokes about me & him getting married, he's even smacked my a** a few times then says he didn't want to or mean to. At the same time he & his girlfriend are getting very 'close' in every sense of the word & despite my friend saying that she understands our friendship & is ok with it, I can't help but feel like I've gone from the best friend to "the other woman". I don't know what to do. Does he like me as more than a friend? Is he flirting with me? Or am I just a filler?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say a filler, he is taking advantage of your friendship. He knows you two are close and is using that too his advantage. You didn't make it clear to him that he shouldn't do that the first couple of times he did it so he is continuing to do that cause he knows he isn't going to get in trouble. You are toy that he plays with.

Most Helpful Girl

• yea biscally you need to distance yourself from him.. he abouvisly don't wanna be with you he's just playing around.. because if so why is he with another girl wtf !

What Guys Said 3

• He wants to smash

• because he is more emotionally close to you and if u like him in that way you could ask him in comfortable way and if not try faking a date with a guy so that he moves on

• Guys are pigs. Horny pigs.

What Girls Said 1

• He's a jerk.