When you are dating someone, do you ever pretend to like the things they like?

Let’s say they suggest some music or a book, or you watch a film together and for whatever reason, you don’t enjoy it. Do you always share your honest opinion or do you sometimes fudge a little bit? Also, what is typically your motivation behind your decision?

• I pretend to like things so I’ll seem smart.
  • I pretend to like things so I’ll fit in with everyone else.
  • I pretend to like things so I won’t hurt their feelings.
    Vote C
  • I pretend to like things so the person will like me more.
    Vote D
  • I always give my honest opinion, 100% of the time. I would be sincere and tell them I didn’t enjoy it.
    Vote E
Select a gender to cast your vote:

186

Most Helpful Girl

• I tell them i don't like it if I feel strongly about it, otherwise I just don't really mention anything and just listen to them. If it's something they really love and are passionate about, just that fact makes it almost okay to hear about haha. I don't fake interest in things I really don't like though.

That said, if it's a topic or something I don't know about, I'm willing to give it a go because I love learning and trying new things. For example I'm not really a gamer, but the guy I was seeing loved league of legends lol and wanted me to play too, so I tried it. I was terrible, which is probably why I didn't like it and told him that, and he said he appreciated that I at least took an interest and gave it a shot.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the person , but sometimes I pretend to like something just to make them happy or so they choose what they want to do rather than trying to make everything we do 'equal' kind of

What Girls Said 17

• In my case if ever my counter part has a certain fancy for a television show, I would be honest about it, ofcourse in an approach that is in good terms.

I would mention it is not my ideal interest but if he talks about it since I do not know I would ask questions about the show since he brought it up, characters, plot, etc. for him to expound and so that it would somehow help even if I am not interested to gear myself with it at least I would be open to listen if he has something to say about it.

In my view you do not necessarily have to have the same interests all the time, there will always be a slight difference or somewhere there, yet if the person talks about it I will glady be open to listen.

This helps your counterpart respect your interests to and it actually makes you closer since you are honest than pretending and in the end he/she will find out eventually, it is best to be honest but in an approach that is an open book for you to explain without offending.

Just be open to ask questions about the topic discussed, and ofcourse let the person know but be open to talk about it if the topic is brought up.

• I'd like to think I'd be as authentic and honest as possible. there will probably be times where I have to take their opinion in to account and learn to like something for them, or just finding something decent about somrthing, but it's ok not to be carbon copies of each other. it's important to have someone who approaches the world a little differently in your life because they challenge you to be better

• I'll try to get into what a date is into, and won't be totally honest if I can't get into it, though I'll try to tactfully steer our dates toward things I like more if I can't get into things they like.

That's part of helping the other person have fun, and I really think on a date both sides should go out of their way to please each other, not just be selfish.

• Hurting feelings
    + derailing my attempts to befriend
    or seduce
    is not my style, however minority that opinions seems to be

• I don't fake it much-we can focus and grow our fondness of mutual interests rather one person suffering.

• I usually am sincere and tell them that I dont like something. I use to be like that and agree with things that a guy may like. I find that to be tiring and draining after awhile.

• I don't pretend to but I do try and see if maybe I would like it. It's with friends too. If she exclaims she likes something, like hot sauce over pizza, and if it intrigues me, I would totally try it

• There shouldn't be a need to pretend. Both people should go into a relationship with an open mind to appreciate the things your partner enjoys.

• if it's in dating situation, i usually give my honest opinion on something, and i hope the other person will do the same as me, cause if they dont like things what i like i will be ok with it as long as he doesn't forbid me to like what i like..
    anyway since it's dating situation we should be honest with each other or the relationship won't work

• i dont pretend i just dont comment much about them like "wow you like that, cool!!!" because starting to explain to them something you dont like and how you dont like it seems hurtful even that person will think twice about telling you something again
    not liking something is not bad just dont be insensitive about it to the others who like it and if you pretend to like it better not be food lol

• It really depends on what it is and what the situation is. If it's something super light like an opinion on a movie, I'd be more likely to just not say how I truly feel just so they don't feel bad and it's easier to just agree with them. However, if it's something that's rather serious (about religion, politics, life, etc) then I will definitely state my own opinion and would not conform to theirs.

• I always give my honest opinion... what's the point if you don't? Lol then they'll continue doing stuff you don't like.

• I really really really hate giving my boyfriend a blowjob but I pretend to like it. That makes him happy. He thinks I love giving him a blowjob and that's why I'm good at it. Haha! xP

• I am open to trying the things they like. If I try them and hate them, I will say so.

• I may try to show interest but I won't outright pretend I like it

• In a relationship, I support my partner and attend the things they like so far as they do the same for me.

What Guys Said 5

• >> I always give my honest opinion, 100% of the time. I would be sincere and tell them I didn’t enjoy it.

This one for me, sorta. That said, I don't go that blunt. If I hated something, I'll say it but also diffuse it with humor. I also tend to exaggerate it.

I'll be like, "I hated that so much! Please don't make me do that again. I'll let you punch me in the face but just don't make me do it again. I will do anything for love, but I won't do that (again)."

• I do my best to only give as much info (whilst still being honest) as provoked when it comes to these matters, but if they ask me a checkmate-question, I will mince no words.

• Probably C sometimes, but E at least most of the time.

• Not going to lie. If they like something that I don't then they can enjoy it with friends and family.
    People like different things there's no point trying to like everything that they do because it will take away from the things you both enjoy.