How does the amount of time spent talking about your significant other relate to your relationship?

As a high school student who's never felt the need to become serious with someone, how my peers act in their relationships has always fascinated me. Some are very gushy from the start and never stop talking about their special someone, and others I would not have known were dating anyone if it wasn't for gossip and vague mention-ings. A guy friend of mine has dated two girls apparently, but he never spoke about them or even mentioned them in conversation. He's now with his second girlfriend this year, and it's like he's completely single. Either way, this doesn't seem to affect the longevity of the relationship, but does it affect the quality?
16
6