Should I lower my expectations?

I'm in a relationship with my best friend. We've known each other for years and therefore we know everything about each other, so when we started dating there was never that honeymoon phase where we were so curious to find out more about each other. Our relationship was just serious from the start. He is not a very romantic guy and does not show his emotions or talk about it. So sometimes I'm wondering if he even cares. He doesn't do romantic things, and isn't a very affectionate person. I know that he loves me and I love him as well. Sometimes I think that I'm expecting way to much and should appreciate that trusting relationship we do have and appreciate that I found someone I can trust and love and talk to and accepts everything about me: good and bad. But then, other times I feel, he could be doing more to make me feel special and appreciated and not like I'm just something that is there and that he knows won't just go away.

Could someone tell me about their experiences or expectations or their partners behavior? I just want to know what I should do to change what I'm doing wrong before I talk to him about it.
Should I lower my expectations?
3
1