Is he getting comfortable or losing interest?

I've been dating a guy for around 2 months now. We see each other every weekend and I sometimes work from his place once a week (I work remotely). I've met his friends and family and vice versa. We started out as always texting each other. The convos would span several days between dates so there was no worry of who was initiating what. But if he was late responding to a message he would apologise and just say he had a busy day. Lately, the texting has become less and he now calls me a bit more so I've just rolled with it. Last weekend, we celebrated his birthday but I could tell something was up with him: he wasn't as open, and little less affectionate. He called me Tues, and apologised for seeming quiet and I said it was okay.

Anyhow, this week he's opted to mostly call me instead of texting. Usually, he initiates texting first in the day but yesterday I heard nothing from him. I felt comfortable ringing him around 8ish in the evening, as he rings me when he wants, and we had a catch up. Turns out he didn't have a stressful day at work and he's feeling much better, so it made me feel a bit put out but I didn't want to say anything as it sounds stupid. So yeah, I'm wondering... what made him break his texting pattern? I do text him first occasionally, but I don't want to be the only one making all the effort on that front. I feel worried, and I don't want to feel like around him. We've booked a weekend away together, but still, I'm not sure if he's just getting comfortable or is losing interest?
2
2